Finished a chuck roll today

Jeff T Miller

TVWBB All-Star
I had been cooking brisket for the Q shack every weekend. I went to wally world thursday and they didn't have a whole brisket.
icon_mad.gif
They just got their shipment and was putting a lot out. But they didn't recieve any more packers. So I go to sams to get the rest of my meat and I decide to get a chuck roll. I got a 22 pounder. That was the smallest they had.

I cooked 8 pork butts and the chuck roll last night. I took the butts off at noon today and the chuck roll off about 6 this evening. All I can say is I thought brisket is killer well pulled beef is even better. IMHO I used wild willies number onderful rub and the bark was excellent. I had accidently spiced it up a bit. I had the spoons out and didn't pay close enough attention. I put in 2 tblsp instead of 2 tsp of cayenne. Well it was not too spicy for me it had a real good flavor. I could have sat there and ate all the bark myself.
icon_razz.gif

I just wanted to say this is an excellent cut to smoke. I wish I hadn't waited this long to try it. Definately a lot of meat though. Leftovers are going into chili next week.
icon_biggrin.gif

My understanding is that a chuck roast is basically a cut from a chuck roll. I've never done a chuck roll, but I have done a chuck roast and feel the same way you do. It's a great piece of meat to cook (I mean eat
icon_smile.gif
). It's a toss up in my house whether the ribs or the chuck roast is best. Brisket is good, but too hard to cook. Chuck is easy and very tasty. Maybe I'll do a roll some day. With a roast, usually there's only enough left overs for a batch of soup; and that's when I cook two roasts. Good eatin' for sure.

For those of you who have never tried a chuck roll you dont know what your missing. They are fantastic I cant even describe the flavor. I cooked a 25lb roll a few weeks ago and served to some of my neighbors they are sitll asking when the next one will be cooked.

Pulled beef from a chuck roast is excellent. I have one on now (right next to the picnic and right below the ribs that just went on).

I highly recommend smoking a chuck. The sandwiches that come out of this are outstanding. I have used both brisket rubs / marinades and pork shoulder rubs (Mr. Brown and perfect picnic work great).

I am getting hungry just thinking about the end product.

Chuck roll/roast are my favorites to smoke. You can make some wonderful quesadilias with the leftovers, I just chop some up and heat in a pan with a spritz of AJ...good stuff

Rath *gotta make a chuck roll soon*

You have talked me into it. A chuck roll will be part of my next WSM cook.

How does a 20+ pound chuck roll fit in a WSM?

How long will it take to cook & what temperature do you cook it to?

Dave - Where do you find chuck rolls in the Madison area? Do you have to special order them?

Jim

I'd just ask at the meat department for it. If your store sells the roast they probably have the cryo pack in the back. I can get them up here but I need to ask for them.

You don't HAVE to do a 20 lb piece of meat to enjoy the Chuck Roll experience. Just ask your butcher to cut you a Chuck Eye Roast to your specs. I usually go about 6-8 lbs, depending on my situation. They do, however, take forever to cook.

Figure about 2.5 hrs/lb (@ 250?), and that's if you foil! Don't worry about finish temps either, it'll be done when it shreds easy. I start checking when it's been on for 2+ hrs/lb, and usually have to go longer. I try to foil it for about 1/4-1/3 of the total anticipated cook time, allowing for some time out of foil at the end to "tighten" it up.

I was thinking on my next Chuck I might try a faster cook, using the KickAss BBQ technique. I'm a "bark junky," so I want to try the technique on a butt first to see if it'll satisfy my fix.

Anyone tried cutting a chuck roll in half to make it cook faster? I saw that you can do it with pork butt just fine...

Wow, miss a day and you miss a lot.

Jim, here is a google map It took me a minute to find the link. I forgot which thread it was in. There is a bit about it in the would you want to own a q restaraunt in the conversation forum. I call it Redneck BBQ.

The bark on the chuck roll was the best. I have eaten the bark on the brisket and didn't really like it. On the butts I like it but on the chuck roll I could have went around the outside and ate it all last night. It reheated well today. It was just as good as yesterday.

Maybe the smaller cuts need longer per pound but mine was 22.5 pounds and it was 220 internal at 22 hours. It went a little longer than I had planned. I was going to take it off at 200 but got busy shredding butts and kind of forgot about it. It definately wasn't dry at all for going that high.

The chuck rolls apparantly have a plateau at 185 or there abouts because at 17 hours it was 185 and 20 hours it was at 195.

I made meatloaf last weekend for a change of pace and today I got a call asking how late I was open then he asked if I am making meatloaf this weekend. Must have made an impression.
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I just got to say if any of you have built a magnum out there you need to call weber and order replacement vents for your wsm and do some drilling on your kettle to add them. I put about 21 pounds of charcoal in and it went the whole burn without an adjustment. Every time I went to check on it it was running steady at 230. Actually once it was about 260 but the water pan was getting really low. Filled it up and brought it back down.

I'm doing my first full sized roll today. The plan is to put it on around 7 :00 tonight and cook at 240 degrees or so. I'll foil tomorrow morning around 8:00 is it really that hard to get a good temp reading on the larger Chuck rolls? Any tips anyone wants to share?

I didn't feel like it was hard to get a temp reading. I checked in several places and got the same reading. What is the benefit of foiling? I didn't foil mine.

Ok, I'm at 12 hours and I got a temp reading of 184. I thought I read it was hard to get a good temp reading someplace on the net because of all the fat but it seems to not be too hard to get. At least all the readings I took were about the same. I foiled it just now I don't really know why but almost all the cooks I read about foil it some at a temp of 160 and some at 175.
Note how do you all that foil get the darn thing off the grate? I thought it was going to fall apart on me a few times. Just by poking around with the therm I would say it's almost done. Talk about a big bowl of jelly
icon_smile.gif
a few little tastes wile being foiled I almost had a hard time not eating it and putting it back on. Should I take it off at 195? 200? not really make a difference?

DW I didn't think of that. I am here to tell you that in my case that wasn't necessecary. I didn't foil, I overshot my internal and there was nothing dry about any of the meat. I am thinking I am going to do another one this week.

Howdy Jeff, a chuck roll sounds interesting. I think I'll try one next smoke. Was thinking hickory be good choice. What wood did you use and are you going to try something different next time? Thanks.

Finished mine a little before 12:00 at a temp of 205. It's resting comfortablely right now. Will probably crack it open around 5:00 ish.

Back