Finally got my 14

MikeLucky

TVWBB Pro
So, I have the 22 WSM and I do love it. But, wow it's a monster. To fire it up I load it up with meat and since my wife doesn't do a lot of leftovers and the kids are out of the house now, it just makes sense to get the 14.

I'm selling the 22 to a friend of mine that can use the real estate for his large family. So I searched the entire OKC metro area for any 14 WSM for sale, new or used. I seriously found the only one I could find listed in stock at an Ace Hardware in Edmond. I took a break from working at home and drove to Edmond to at least look at it.

Well, they didn't have one in stock, but agreed to sell me the floor model for 10% off. I literally grabbed it like it was a broken droid on Star Wars and scurried to the register. Lol. That's my small quarantine victory of the day.

I look forward to firing it up and posting pics.

Enjoy your 14. I was searching for a used 18 when I landing a great deal on a 14. I feel like I cook on it a lot more than I would if I had one of the larger one because it is so easy to fire up, cook on, and clean up. I have cooked for 8 people, with ribs and chicken. I may search for an 18 in the future, but for right now I am just loving my 14.

I love my little 14” I have to reload a little near the end of a long cook, but it’s fun and works great! I use my 18” for bigger cooks. It’s a work horse. Have fun!!!

Well, first cook on it tonight. Used a full chimney of coals with 3/4 of them unlit, and the rest lit and added on top. Full open vents and the temp ran up to almost 300 like a shot. After adding meat I closed the vents down to pencil width. Temp was still high so I added water to the bowl, which was different than using my 22 as I never used water. After adding water the temp pretty much stayed at 230ish until near the end of the cook and most of the water had boiled off. All in all a 2 1/2 hour cook.

4 boneless turkey breasts, bologna chub rubbed with Dijon mustard and rub, and 5 jalapeno cheddar sausages.

Added the turkey breasts first. About an hour in added the bologna and sausages. Also did some Hawaiian brined chicken on my performer.

IMG_20200510_174801271_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200510_180719421_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200510_181139176.jpg

IMG_20200510_193404033.jpg

IMG_20200510_201258791.jpg

IMG_20200510_201805942.jpg

Absolutely love this 14. This is probably the most meat I'll ever do at one time again so the size is perfect. And, cleanup will be way easier than the 22.

Wow! Great cook. That's a lot of meat for that cooker.

After going to the 14 from the 22, I intentionally loaded it up to see what it could do. I definitely was happy with how much you can smoke in this little smoker at one time. And, I REALLY loved that the water pan and grill grates all fit in my kitchen sink for cleaning. I don't have a shop sink so dealing with the 22 was difficult.

The 14 is the workhorse of the WSM line! Can comfortably feed a family of 4, or a party of 16! Not sure if I could ever justify something larger, but never say never :LOL:.

Cheers,
Kyle

I agree guys. Yesterday I decided to smoke chicken wings. Added some charcoal, lit a small chimney, added some water to the pan, added the wings. Ran for 3 hours like a charm and made some awesome wings. Plus it's easy to clean and take care of. I am loving this 14.

This looks like a mean little smoking machine.
When people say the 22" is big they mean it. I recently purchased a used 22", when I went to pick it up I was amazed how large it was. I could literally fit my 2 young daughters inside that thing! I'll be reselling it because I just don't see myself ever needing to smoke that much food.
I talked my wife into letting me get a 26" kettle. Convinced her the 22" kettle/Performer was too small to be smoking 3+ racks of ribs. So for now that will be my go to smoker....I do have my eye on this 14" smoker. I like the compact size, wouldn't take up too much space on my BBQ patio.

20200531_193516.jpg

The 14.5" can do most of what you need to do for up to about 10-20 people as long as you're not promising people a rack of ribs each. I did a 7.5lb pork butt (had room for two), took the pork butt up to ~170°F finished it in the oven, hot swapped the coals and put on two racks of baby back ribs, could've definitely done more ribs with rib racks. Just know that the charcoal capacity isn't the best without modifications.

I can maintain 250°F to 275°F for about 6 hours with Kingsford Professional, then I have to dump my ash pan. In my (limited) experience after about 6-8hrs the ash will start to choke the fire and make maintaining temps difficult even with new coals. Some have recommended going to lump charcoal to reduce ashing.

Back