Finally Crispy Skin Pork Belly (Lechon)

Benji Chong

TVWBB Super Fan
So big ups to Enrico and Wolgast! I was finally able to get that crispy skin pork belly!

Scored the skin and seasoned using SPOG, let it sit on a rack in the fridge for about 5-6 hours. Fired up the 22.5 MT with coals along the outside with a pan in the middle. Used the aluminum ball to arc the belly. One of my probes crapped out during the cook but I know the kettle was running pretty damn hot so I'm estimating it was in the 400+ range only reason I say that is because I got to 160 IT in about 45-55 minutes. I did use tongs to flip it over and held it over direct flames for a few min hoping that would help crisp the skin and I think it did help. Then I put it back on the aluminum ball to finish the last 10min. Brought it in, sliced, and got that CRUNCH! And still so juicy! This was my 4th time I believe trying to make pork belly and I'm finally pretty damn satisfied with the way it came out. In the Philippines the dish is called Lechon Kawali, and all the recipes/vids I see on that involved boiling the pork belly and then frying it to get crispy skin. I'm so glad I was able to get it that way just using the kettle an aluminum ball and hot hot heat, so thanks again everyone for your help with this delicious dish! Sorry for the crappy photos, really need to learn how to use this damn camera phone.

NCfqcjql.jpg

ZIWxBzvl.jpg

8OHMIbQl.jpg

J42A1fml.jpg

2mV0vZ1l.jpg

Nothing wrong with the pictures Benji and definitely nothing wrong with the belly! Beautifully done on both counts!

Good job!

It's funny how someone will post about something a little new or different like this and everyone jumps on it. I know I do.

Remember the summer everyone went nuts doing kettle fried chicken? I think this belly will be the newest trend.

Hi Benji, that lechon kawali looks good! Thanks for sharing the recipe, i will try that on a grill sometime. I have heard a lot of different ways to make lechon kawali (everything from frying to using an air fryer to a turbo broiler) but this looks the best!

That's great looking food. Love the picture on the cutting board. So juicy and tender, but crispy too.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Those pics sold me.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I have another belly in the freezer I have to take out for the weekend. After showing these pics to a coworker she told me she recently had pork belly mac n cheese at a restaurant tasting and it was awesome, so I'm going to try that out this weekend and see if it's something I may be able to vend at the next bbq comp.

Hi Benji, that lechon kawali looks good! Thanks for sharing the recipe, i will try that on a grill sometime. I have heard a lot of different ways to make lechon kawali (everything from frying to using an air fryer to a turbo broiler) but this looks the best!

Thanks Carlo! I always have to remind myself how the best lechon kawali is hand spun over the hot coals in the Philippines and that Anthony Bourdain himself proclaimed "Best Pig Ever!" lol.

Looks great Benji. How was it served?

By the time this came off the kettle it was way past dinnertime so I just kinda munched on them the rest of the night, ate the rest for lunch the next day with turkey fried rice.

Back