Feedback and guidance on a replacement 5 ton HVAC, with AC being most important.

That should be a simple small motor. Might be a tad difficult to get to with corroded fasteners, but a new motor isn't all that expensive. That's one of those parts that I would look at replacing long and hard before replacing the furnace. Shoot, it might actually be as simple as a failed capacitor.
Problem is I'm physically not able to do the work. Frustrating being a master mechanic with 35 years under my belt, but it is what it is :( The contractor will be here tomorrow, and we'll discuss repair vs. replacement. I've dealt with this company for quite a few years and trust them to give me an honest opinion. The system was here when we bought the house 22 years ago and I don't know how old it was then.

Problem is I'm physically not able to do the work. Frustrating being a master mechanic with 35 years under my belt, but it is what it is :( The contractor will be here tomorrow, and we'll discuss repair vs. replacement. I've dealt with this company for quite a few years and trust them to give me an honest opinion. The system was here when we bought the house 22 years ago and I don't know how old it was then.
If you trust him to give you an honest appraisal, then you should be in good shape. Unfortunately, this is one of those generally not too difficult that turn into cash cows. I read earlier (another site) about someone getting quoted nearly $1,000 for a very simple capacitor replacement, $700 in just the part, and nearly $300 in labor.

If you trust him to give you an honest appraisal, then you should be in good shape. Unfortunately, this is one of those generally not too difficult that turn into cash cows. I read earlier (another site) about someone getting quoted nearly $1,000 for a very simple capacitor replacement, $700 in just the part, and nearly $300 in labor.
One advantage of living in a smallish town (under 10K population) and dealing with a well-established locally owned business. They wouldn't last long ripping people off like that.

Turns out the problem was the control board. Part in stock and fixed by 11AM this morning.

Back