Feedback and guidance on a replacement 5 ton HVAC, with AC being most important.

My system (I don't recall the SEER rating on the AC but it was the highest one they could install for it's size) and the furnace they installed a 98.5% unit and the whole thing requires a special t/stat to work at max efficiency as it monitors current and predicted weather, and adjusts itself accordingly. Total installed cost was right about $10K
What year was it installed?

Last edited:
around 2200 sq ft home?
IIRC my first floor sq footage is just shy of 1600. I don't think they include the basement when they calculate. Because they pulled out a 120kBTU furnace and replaced with 75K. I guess the theory on basement is it's mostly underground and basically protected and heat goes down the stairs as it returns to the system anyway

What year was it installed?
2018 or 19. Not sure which. But not earlier than 18. We had one company come in and tried to tell us that for a system not even as good as this one they wanted $25K. And a few others were knocking on $20k. These guys did a bangup job, top notch equipment and a shade over $10k. IIRC maybe $10.3k

That's a steal and a hell of a deal!
I just paid $14K for a 80%.
HE was not a go for us because mines in a crawlspace and running the vents was not feasible and at our age I don't see any worthwhile return.

We just signed our contract finally on our rebuild.
We are going with AC, even here, with everything getting hotter it seems like a must. Not sure which size as our home is smaller.
I’ve installed some mini splits for work but don’t like the way they look.

We just signed our contract finally on our rebuild.
We are going with AC, even here, with everything getting hotter it seems like a must. Not sure which size as our home is smaller.
I’ve installed some mini splits for work but don’t like the way they look.
it'll add value then when you sell, you'll have an advantage over homes that don't have it. and you'll enjoy it when needed. so, enjoy it!

Okay, I'm feeling a little better about the conversational quote (waiting for the hard copy....) Estimated less than $14k for a heat pump, secondary heat and a new AC unit, fully installed, and that's before the energy rebates. About 2,400 sq. ft. finished, a split bi-level, built in '93.

After having cocktails with another couple from a local trivia night a couple of weeks back, I am also a lot less unhappy with temps throughout this house. I was griping a bit about a 5 degree difference or less between various parts of our house. Their house..... a semi-manufactured house, has about a 25 degree difference between the finished basement and the main floor in the summer. You can hang meat downstairs when the upstairs is comfortable. Apparently, due to manufacturing design, it's stupid expensive to fix the temperature imbalance.

New everything going in on Monday.

I decided to replace everything. A/C furnace and blower fan / air handler are nearly 27 years old. Some parts of the furnace are no longer available according to neighbors that have had their furnace die mid winter. 10 year warranty parts and labor on everything through a local installer with a great rep.

Mine is doing OK now that temps have dropped under 100. It was not happy at 110+ and I was checking hotel availability in case it went out. Neighbors AC went out last week while they were away. When they got home it was 95F inside.

AC is 5 ton Inverter side discharge unit. Champion brand on the box, but its the same part number as York or Johnson Control hmcg22b601S
1720928170535.png

New evaporator - 5 ton Advanced Distributor Product embossed 5 ton right hand 21 W multiposition R410A TXV HP
It might look something like this:

1720928821911.png

New two stage furnace with ECM blower motor. Champion ( York ) TM9Y100C20MP11 96% AFUE.

1720928484981.png

Attachments

• 1720927804465.png
    1720927804465.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1720928211112.png
    1720928211112.png
    541.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
New everything going in on Monday.

I decided to replace everything. A/C furnace and blower fan / air handler are nearly 27 years old. Some parts of the furnace are no longer available according to neighbors that have had their furnace die mid winter. 10 year warranty parts and labor on everything through a local installer with a great rep.

Mine is doing OK now that temps have dropped under 100. It was not happy at 110+ and I was checking hotel availability in case it went out. Neighbors went out last week while they were away. When they got home it was 95F inside.

AC is 5 ton Inverter side discharge unit. Champion brand on the box, but its the same part number as York or Johnson Control hmcg22b601S
View attachment 95891

New evaporator - 5 ton Advanced Distributor Product embossed 5 ton right hand 21 W multiposition R410A TXV HP
It might look something like this:

View attachment 95894

New two stage furnace with ECM blower motor. Champion ( York ) TM9Y100C20MP11 96% AFU.

View attachment 95893
Infinite fan speed on the heat pump? Curious what your design temperature is. 99°?

18k installled?

I don't think it's infinite fan speed. AC compressor is variable and the AC controls the ECM fan speed so it's not running full on.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger yesterday. New 3 ton 19 SEER heat pump and a 97% gas furnace. And a 6" air filter and new whole house humidifier. Amazingly enough, NOT having to get it done ASAP managed to align the stars, the contractor is planning on replacing the system today.

Pulled the trigger yesterday. New 3 ton 19 SEER heat pump and a 97% gas furnace. And a 6" air filter and new whole house humidifier. Amazingly enough, NOT having to get it done ASAP managed to align the stars, the contractor is planning on replacing the system today.
That's mildly surprising. The heat exchanger in the old furnace has no signs of corrosion or cracking, on a quick inspection. Still, not unhappy at all with replacing it.

I meant what happened to the fins on that condenser unit? They look all beat down and corroded.
Don't know. They are beat down and corroded. Not sure the cause. Side yard is fenced from street and from back yard. It it's from animal spray it would have to be cats or (infrequent visitors) raccoons.

I did a townhome project and a few of the condensers looked like that ( but not quite that bad )
Owners kept male dogs on tie outs outside the patio doors. The units were easy targets.
I had to replace a few 6x6 galv post bases from the same dogs. Urine is very corrosive.

Back