Feedback and guidance on a replacement 5 ton HVAC, with AC being most important.

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I'm planning to replace my 1997 vintage HVAC system which is a 5 ton York, SEER 12. (older rating) Its showing its age and while it has been reliable, its days have to be numbered, R22 is very, very expensive. Parts for the furnace are limited should it fail but I am more concerned about the A/C.

I have a high efficiency gas fireplace in the main room downstairs so the furnace only runs on the coldest of mornings as we like the bedrooms cool for sleeping.

Starting to research this more and looking into specific brands and models.

Any feedback on brands, models units? My climate is HOT summers, moderate winters so the AC is more expensive to run than the furnace.

A respected local shop suggested a 5 ton Champion Horizontal, inverter-drive unit. It looks like Champion is a Johnson Controls brand which also makes York.

Costco has a program with Lennox, and the dealer that contacted me is a company I've worked with before.

Reliability and Longevity are top of my list. Efficiency is important but not crucial since I have a fairly good sized PV solar setup.

Thoughts? suggestions? Things to look for ?

I'd love to get 25 years out of the next purchase.

@TomRc , IIRC, he’s an expert.

Personally, having run the full loop on upgrading to heat pumps, save your money and just buy a modern old school AC unit. I wouldn’t replace the furnace unless you absolutely have to as part of buying a system.

I had my old 9 seer unit die on me,this was like 2014 area we'll I was in luck as it was spring and AC was not needed which gave time to price check and research, I also had a freind of a friend that was a HVAC guy. He measured my household get correct size needed looked all my duck work to cgmheck foe flow and sizing then gave me two options both at total were 17 or 19 seer I forget as I do not live there anymore. One was a straight seer unit the other was a variable 1 to 4 ton ok this was a ranch 1840 sq ft up stairs and a 1840 basement. After picking his brain we settled on the variable unit and I am glad I did.
Now to add to this he cleaned my furnace burners so they looked almost new, and he also added a DC fan motor, along with the new A coil and refrigerate lines.
This system only uses what it needs to cool the house with no strain, and the DC fan hook to a programable thermostat was not only super quiet, but continued to run after the cycle had shut off ,which moves cool air or heated around the house making that cool or heat cycle last longer so you feel warmer,or cooler.
I was living in NKY 25 miles south Cincinnati. 40 inches of chain a year, not many 100 degree days but add humidity and that push it up and over 100 easy so you would need a shower after just walking to the street to check mail.
This system cut my cooling costs by 15-20% and my heating cost about 20% depending on the price of natural gas that year.
Sorry for the novel but when this system cooled and heated much better but. Worked less it should last 25 years or more easy with proper up keep.

My heater went out after about 15 years, about 5 years ago. My coils are below my my heater and I decided to have the coils replaced even though they didn’t need to be. My reasoning: it would be my luck that the coils go bad and I have to not only replace them, but pay for the removal and reinstall of the heater. Just a suggestion if yours is similar to mine

Attachments

• IMG_6206.jpeg
    IMG_6206.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 4

Back