FEC100 pellet burn rate

Anyone have an approximate pellet burn rate for the Fast Eddy Cooker FEC 100? Just for "typical" smoking temperatures. I realize the type of wood, temperature and such will make a difference.

I was just curious at what it costs to operate. Especially if I have to mail order pellets.

I don't know a lot about these cookers ! But we meaning my family is seriouly considering going into the business and this is one a the companys were looking at for our cooker . Thou there are several more in the running ! I guess in the next yr I will be doing a LOT a traveling to personaly see these things . I have no clue to the pellet burn rate or wood but am interested as you are .

Was thinking of buying a small one to see what all the hype is about . Since a small one is about $1300.00 and the monster is I think about 17K . a lot to look into even for a small one .

They sound like fire and forget cookers but I duno about that . would have to taste food off of them and see it done a few times befor they even get my $1300.00 for a small one to try out at home befor putting a big one in a business .

Is there a pellet cooker (vs. a grill which, although they say you can smoke on, I imagine is a compromise) available for "only" $1300? I though the FEC 100 was the smallest pellet-fed cooker/smoker on the market.

Greg Rempe was interviewing a guy with another internet "radio" show on BBQ Central, and the guy was explaining that he got an FEC 100 and the first brisket out of it was so good, his wife did not even question the cost. I don't think there is a brisket that will make my wife not question me buying a $4000 smoker.

Pellet costs per hour? That'll depend on what you're paying for pellets!
icon_wink.gif

The last pallet of pellets I ordered wound up costing me around $15.00 per 40 lb bag. (that price included shipping costs) Figure you'll use about a pound of pellets per hour. If my math is correct that's about 38 cents in pellet costs per hour. Unless you buy in bulk from the right source, you could pay as much as a $1.00 per pound for pellets and anywhere in-between.

Hope this helps!

About a pound an hour. That's the kind of answer I was looking for.

Also a good data point that you can get pellets for $15/40 lb shipped. (oooo....what is the definition of "in bulk?")

Brother owns a Traeger Lil Tex think he paid $600+-... pretty much set and forget type.

Chicken comes out good but can duplicate on a kettle.. Pork is OK.. brisket and ribs better with WSMs. For some reason does not produce a good smoke ring.

But for commercial purposes the big ones look to be hard to beat.

John

The biggest complaint about the pellet cookers is they don't put enough smoke on the meat. Which to a certain extent is true. They burn very efficiently and clean, so no heavy smoke flavor when used per standard heat and time methods. There are tricks you can use to enhance/increase the smoke flavor and the smoke ring. The simplest trick is cooking (brisket or butts) on the smoke setting (180*) for around six hours and then finishing them off at a more "normal" temp. I just did some briskets that cooked at 225* for around 10 hours and then I bumped it up to 265* to finish them off. The smoke ring was excellent! Fact is though, if you're used to a heavy smoke flavor it'll take you awhile to appreciate the lighter smoke flavor. Some folks never do. I actually prefer it. No burping up smoke four hours after my meal and the taste of the meat and spices shine through much better when it's not oversmoked.

John: I usually buy twenty, 40lb bags at a time. I believe the minimum is 200 lbs or 5 bags. It's been awhile since I've purchased any, so the price may have went up. I use the Fast Eddy pellets.

I bought a couple of pallets from Candy (BBQr's Delight) in the spring. Prices have gone up slightly, but still a great deal. I wan to say they were $16 for a 40# bag to Chicago... that was including shipping.

That's a good price for those pellets. I know a lot of the pelletheads swear by them. Maybe I need to talk to Candy Sue!

Scotty, do you know if Eddy has a new full flavored pellet? I heard he did.

Back