Feature Request: Max output alarm

DKellogg

TVWBB Member
So, I'm running some test fires to see how long I can sleep while cooking, and it occurred to me that it would be very helpful to be alerted that the fire is starting to die out. This would allow me to react and make the necessary adjustments before the temp starts to drop. To me the most logical trigger for that would be a 100% output alarm thats armed after reaching target temp at startup or if set temp is adjusted.

Just a thought.

You wouldn't want an alarm that is triggered at 100% output, because there will be occasions where it is necessary for your pit to run so high as still be functioning well. An example would be a sudden ambient temperature drop. I think a better script would be one that observes the output over a length of time. With that said, I don't know the programming language at all, so someone else would have to help you on that.

I was thinking that it would be something that you could easily activate/deactivate - probably on the same "Alarm" page. With my rig if I'm hitting 100% output something is going on that I should be aware of.

This could be easily scripted by checking the current output and alerting if max was going for N minutes or something along those lines. I think you'll find more value in setting proper alarms for min & max pit temps. If your blower is at max it's either going to exceed your target pit temp or it's going to be blowing so hard that it's going to be blowing your fire out. This has been my experience.

I'm running an offset. 100% in the middle of a cook means i need more fuel.

A Min temp alarm means im already on my way down and it will take longer to recover. That's why I'm loking for 100% output alarm. Time delay, maybe 100% for 1 min, might be appropriate.

Last edited:
Yeah this is something that is in my todo list but I haven't thought of a good way to do it yet. What it needs to do I think is say "if the output is at 100% for more than N seconds/minutes and not in startup mode, then ALARM" that would do it right?

On the topic of alarms... It would be nice if there was an indicator on the web page when an alarm is enabled, perhaps have an alarm icon show in the probe box where the alarm is set? This would be a good reminder that you have an alarm set and confirm which probe it is on. I have in the past forgotten there was an alarm set from a previous cook and had it trigger and change my setpoint unexpectedly during a subsequent cook. Perhaps an alarm icon and show the setpoint change value if present, or show the setpoint when you hover the alarm icon if showing both would be too busy...
Sorry to hijack your thread with this, it's "sort of" on topic I guess...

So Bryan, i was cooking at Hudson Valley Ribfest this weekend..... i think a more usedful alarm would be: if not in startup mode and average output is greater than or equal to x% for y sec sound alarm.

On the topic of alarms... It would be nice if there was an indicator on the web page when an alarm is enabled, perhaps have an alarm icon show in the probe box where the alarm is set?
Oh you are so right Ralph, I forget this all the time and then I get the alert on the next cook. It would be a great idea to have an icon to show if an alarm is enabled on the probe. I'll add this to the todo for the webui rewrite.

@DKellog: I've added this to the todo list for the alarms because I think it is a good idea too and can be easily done with a linkmeterd plugin, although I may do it in HeaterMeter itself because it isn't that hard there either. Hrm.

Back