fear of a mushy meatloaf

Steven Paul

TVWBB Fan
A friend told me I needed to start putting at least 1egg in my meatloaf, I told her I don't like them runny but she said it will be fine so I tried it. I didn't really see a big difference, I'm wondering what the prevailing thought is on this and wouldn't mind hearing some of your meatloaf recipes either, thanks

About 1 egg per pound of meat is typical for meatloaf recipes I'm familiar with. Too much egg can give it a "cakey" texture, but the 1 egg:1 pound ratio usually makes the resulting loaf a little firmer and less crumbly.

I use an egg and some oaks as a binder in my meatloaf...it is never mushy, even when I put cheese in it

RECIPES > BEEF > BARBECUED MEAT LOAF
Nov 18, 2011
Barbecued Meat Loaf
Recipe from Weber's Way to Grill™ by Jamie Purviance
Rating: 5 stars
5 Reviews

login to favorite + share
YouTube Video
Serves: 8 to 10 // Prep time: 20 minutes | Grilling time: 50 minutes to 1 hour | Special equipment: instant-read thermometer

INGREDIENTS

MEAT LOAF

1¼ pounds ground beef (80% lean)
1¼ pounds ground pork
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
SAUCE

½ cup bottled barbecue sauce
¼ cup ketchup
Sourdough bread (optional)
Provolone cheese (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS

In a large bowl using your hands, gently combine the meat loaf ingredients.

Divide the meat loaf mixture in half and form into two loaves, each about 4 inches wide and 6 to 7 inches long. Place the loaves on a sheet pan.

Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium-low heat (about 350°F).

In a small bowl mix the sauce ingredients. Set aside half of the sauce to serve with the meat loaf. Top each meat loaf with 3 tablespoons of the remaining sauce and coat thoroughly.

Brush the cooking grates clean. Using a metal spatula, gently pick up each loaf from the sheet pan and place directly on the cooking grate. Grill the meat loaves over indirect medium-low heat, with the lid closed, until a thermometer inserted horizontally through the top of each loaf registers 155°F, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the loaves from the grill and let rest 10 to 15 minutes. Once removed from the grill, the loaves will continue to cook, allowing them to reach the recommended 160°F for ground beef and pork. Cut the loaves into slices and serve with the reserved sauce.

To make meat loaf sandwiches, cut the meat loaf into ½-inch-thick slices and slather both sides with some of the reserved sauce. Grill over direct low heat (250° to 350°F), with the lid closed as much as possible, for 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve on sourdough bread. Also great with melted provolone cheese.

Thanks for the input and the recipe! I'm going to do a side by side soon and I'll post my findings. Thanks again and happy Q'in!

So... I did 2 meatloafs side by side with my usual mix, both were 1.25lbs, one had an egg, one didn't. I didn't really notice a difference in consistency, but I did seem to prefer the one with the egg.

Back