Favorite Sauce for Ribs.

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
I know this question has been brought up many times, but what is your favorite commercial sauce for ribs? I've tried Sweet Baby Ray's and it is quite good. However, I have to say my all time favorite is Head Country. I picked up a gallon of it a week ago. It only cost me about $18 and that included shipping. Simply outstanding on ribs (I am a ribaholic)!

Another one of my favorites on ribs is a rather obscure sauce from northern Illinois. I hail from Rock Island, Il and we have a local shack called "Jim's Ribs" and his sauce is similar to Dreamlands, but I think it's a lot better personally. Most people just sop it up with bread when there's no meat available. It's become its own food group up there.

Anyway, what's your favorite rib sauce?

I always make my own sauce.

Hmmmm, I may have to do a few racks with some commercial stuff just to figure out what I like.

Going off of other things I have done, I'd say Stubbs BBQ sauce is the best I've tried so far.

I am also a big fan of Stubb's Spicy sauce on some things. I very seldom use sauce on either pork spare ribs or brisket. If you use a good rub on the meat prior to cooking you may not need a sauce. Let the quality of the meat and the method of cooking do the talking. I mostly smoke ribs and brisket on an offset smoker. After 4 hours exposed to the smoke and 1 additional hourwrapped they are falling off the bone good.

My personal favorite is anything by Sweet Baby Ray's!!!!!! They have several "flavors" and all of them, IMHO, are fantastic.

Sweet Baby Rays is what I used to use ... before I found Blues Hog. ... If Blues Hog is considered commercial.

A month ago, I ordered a case of the BBQ sauce, and a case of the Teneessee Red (in quarts), In fact, I'm about due for another order (that's how good it is).

Bill Arnold is a great guy and will do anything for ya. I did a custom order with no problems.

(DISCLAIMER) No, I don't work for Blues Hog.... I just am an addict. Try some and you will be too.
icon_wink.gif

My kids have had me working on a "sweet heat" sauce. I have been starting with 2/3 parts KC Masterpiece and 1/3 honey. I then cautiously add 1-3 drops of Dave's Insanity sauce to taste. It's right when you taste it and say "umm... I like that sweet, smoky flavor" and then the Dave's kicks in and you say "wow...!! where did that come from?" Nice combination of sensations.

I really enjoy just using Bullseye original and add some cider vinegar and then some of the rub that I used that particular time.

I tried making my own sauce but never liked it as well and I dont use it fast enough and waste it.

Jim

I like mixing 1/2 Sweet Baby Ray's & 1/2 Hot Bone Suckin' Sauce. My family loves it. Someone here on TVWB originally told me about this. I get the Bone Suckin' Sauce at Cracker Barrel.

I like mixing pepper jelly (Texas Pepper Jelly is terrific but I've used others too) with commercial sauce or with my own.

Loren

I mostly use 2/3 cups KC and 1/3 cup honey. I use a spicy rub that I make. I think I found every variation of pepper imaginable, lol. Anyway the spice of the rub and sweetness of the sauce is a good mix. Especially since my wife and wee ones don't want anything too exiting for their palates.

If it's just a boys day over than I just "dry" serve them with the rub and have the sauce made on the side for their dipping pleasure if they want.

Looks like from the responses I'll have to order some Sweet Baby Rays to try. Never had it.

I really like Sweet Baby Ray's line. I've tried them all and they're all good. I also like Stubb's line as well. I'm not wild about KC Masterpiece anymore. It's good but not great. I've made my own a few times and I liked the results but I still prefer SBR over all of them.

Gotta go with Scott and Dean on this one. I just tried out both Blues Hog sauces this weekend. Best commercial sauce I've ever had. The whole family loved it! And like Scott said, Bill's one heck of a nice guy too. Give em a shot, you won't be disappointed.

Rick

Just to show you what a purist I am, my favorite is WEBER's ORIGINAL. It really is a good sauce and if you like something a little less sweet and more smokey, they have a hickory version. However, I'm going to order some Blues Hog. I like to try regional varities and when I travel to South Carolina, there's no shortage.

Paul

I got last week a gallon of Blue Hog original and a quart of the TN Red. Man, both are good stuff! Although since I like things slightly on the spicy side, I wish I had gotten a gallon of the Red since it's got a little more kick to it. Looks like I'll just have to order some more!

Can't go wrong with the Blue Hog. Best sauce I've used so far.

A couple of things I do with the BH BBQ sauce is:

1. Strain through a fine sieve. I don't care for the berry stems and mustard seeds, and it's a dead giveaway if you compete
icon_wink.gif
Shhhh.

2. Cut it with a little bit of premium apple juice.

3. Kick it up with a bit your your favorite hot sauce.

The Red? ... I just leave that alone. It's perfect IMHO. ... Ok, sometimes I add a little more heat, but I'm a chilehead.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back