Favorite "non-typical" BBQ meat to smoke?

Bradley Chopp

Curious on what "non-typical" meats people like to smoke? Something besides the standard BBQ competition fare of ribs, chicken, brisket, pork shoulder/butt.

How does simple ribeyes, chicken breasts or butterfly pork chops turn out on the WSM? Probably great, just have not seen too many posts on these items.

Me, I'm doing my first top sirloin tip today, probably going to slice it thin for sandwiches....wish me luck.

Personally, I prefer to do butterflied chicken on the gasser. I like a crispy skin, and for some reason, don't care much for "smokey" chicken. That said, my favorite "non-typical" WSM meat would probably be tri tip. Also, and I know it's not really non typical, I like beef ribs "low and slow" too.

Pretty soon, I'm going to try beef short ribs low and slow...and also might try tail the same way. Don't laugh...tail can be *great*. Had braised tail at a basque restaurant once, some of the best beef I've ever had.

Just did three chickens today on the WSM. Two beer can chickens on the top rack and one horizontal on the lower rack.

They turned out great.

I don't know how nonstandard this is, but I love to throw some sausages on the wsm. Gives them a great smoky flavor, not to be had elsewhere.

outside of butts, ribs, and chickens - my favorite two items to cook on my WSM are smoked sausage and ABT's.

Both are easy to do (well, maybe the ABT's take a while to make), and both are definite crowd pleasers.

Bradley--

While nearly anything can be cooked on the WSM there are, of course, stuff that either doesn't benefit from low-and-slow (too lean) or stuff that a sear/high-heat approach is better (both you can certainly do on the WSM if you set it up for that).

However--since you mentioned rib-eye--take a look at Shawn W's Butter-smoked Rib-Eye approach. It's a real winner.

Kevin,

I actually PREFER the setup of the Weber WSM for cooking steaks.

What I do is set up the coal grate on the second shelf in the smoking chamber, and open all of the vents and leave the door off. This gives maximum airflow for maximum heat. Then, I throw my steaks on for a nice searing.

Then, I put the door back on which restricts the airflow (and also prevents flare-ups, I've noticed). This quickly lowers the temp of the fire.

And because the cooking grate is 7.5" above the fire, the food isn't constantly getting kissed, and the steaks get done to perfection.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and the steaks get done to perfection. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Too cool. And just goes to show: With an effortless one-minute mod to change the set-up--well, it's hard to beat the versatility and ease of use of a WSM.

I cooked an octopus once, following the instructions of some Hawaiians on this site. It was delicious. There is a butcher shop not far from where I live that sells horse meat. I've often thought about picking some up, but I think it would be more appropriate for the grill as I've heard it's rather lean.

Bill M,
Ever try a northern? Smoking fish is new to me but my father-in-law gave me a norther straight from Canada anyway. Any tips/tricks for smoking fish?

Thanks

Kangaroo haunch smoked with a low fire on a kettle using Paperbark Tree (a bit like a hickory taste only slightly milder. Kangaroo is a tough meat if cooked quickly and lends itself to slow cooking. It is gamey in taste and sinewy. Best served with a hot fruity sauce.
When I was growing up we supplemented our grocerys with anything we could catch. We lived by the water and would swap seafood for Kangaroo meat.Now it is expensive to buy and not readily available in the city. .

HOTDOGS
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Kangaroo haunch smoked with a low fire on a kettle using Paperbark Tree (a bit like a hickory taste only slightly milder. Kangaroo is a tough meat if cooked quickly and lends itself to slow cooking. It is gamey in taste and sinewy. Best served with a hot fruity sauce.
When I was growing up we supplemented our grocerys with anything we could catch. We lived by the water and would swap seafood for Kangaroo meat.Now it is expensive to buy and not readily available in the city. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That sounds very non-typical to me
icon_smile.gif
. I've never seen a kangaroo much less eaten one. Is that cut sort of like a pork shoulder butt?

Back