Favorite Car Camping Meal?

Going car camping this weekend with a group of 6 people. I'm taking my big stove, smokey joe P and dutch oven.

Was planning on standard fare like burgers one night and tri tip the next.

Any other suggestions?

Cook what ever you feel like. If you've cooked while camping you know what to expect, as far as effort and improvising. If you haven't, remember, you're not cooking at your house with all your stuff around, including cleanup facilities.

Went car camping recently and did coq an Vin, beef stew w/ wine, and jambalaya in a dutch oven on a wood fire. At home I use the dutch oven and the SJG as the fire pit. Pre-cut the vegetables and separate per dish. Pre cut the meat and freeze the meat, or just keep cold. I pre-measure out the seasonings per dish too. HTH

My favorite is simple salt-and-pepper steaks and aluminum foil-wrapped baked potatoes in the coals of the campfire. I suppose you could do these just as well with a smokey joe.

Foil-wrapped potatoes in the coals are always a hit. One thing we started doing for breakfast instead of bacon/eggs was to get one of those cinnamon roll packages and just make that inside a camp oven. Fast and easy to clean up afterward.

Brats on a stick and a big can of baked beans. remove top of beans, punch hole in each side with swiss army can punch and make a handle with coat hanger and put the can in the fire. Not gourmet but 12 yr old boys get a big kick out of it.

and we substitute trout on a stick if they catch any.

We've had a fire ban in Colorado all Summer so it's gas grills only this year. I had to pick up a Go Anywhere gas model but it does just fine for fish, burgers, dogs etc.

Foil-wrapped potatoes in the coals are always a hit. One thing we started doing for breakfast instead of bacon/eggs was to get one of those cinnamon roll packages and just make that inside a camp oven. Fast and easy to clean up afterward.

I'll second that! One thing I've learned for doing grill/coal spuds: Dice them before cooking, and then foil them with liberal amounts of butter, sour cream, chives, bacon, etc... This cuts down on the cook time and allows the condiments to permeate the potatoes.

Have fun!

I'll second that! One thing I've learned for doing grill/coal spuds: Dice them before cooking, and then foil them with liberal amounts of butter, sour cream, chives, bacon, etc... This cuts down on the cook time and allows the condiments to permeate the potatoes.

Good idea I'll have to try that next time we make potatoes!

Small chuck roast. Salt, pepper, bit of garlic powder, bit of onion powder. Put in a small aluminum pan with enough beef broth to just cover the bottom of the pan. Cook at 250-260 til 150 or so internal. Add quartered potatoes, onions, carrots. Cover and continue cooking for about 1-1.5 hour more. Ready to rock and roll!

You can even do the seasoning before leaving the house right in the same pan and cover! Just put it in a ice chest during the trip. Simply take it out and put it in the cooker. Pre-prep all the veggies and put them in a zip-lock bag in the cooler also. Easy peasy!

Russ

Back