Favorite BBQ book?

I got started BBQing when my girlfriend bought me Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ for my birthday, only to discover what I thought was BBQing was really grilling LOL. Up until I joined this site it was my only source for learning. Now I am learning there are many different was to skin the cat and I am inspired to buy a couple more books.... any suggestion?? What do you guyz like? I just ordered Low and Slow btw
icon_smile.gif

I've got Peace Love & Barbecue (like and it has good recipes), BBQ USA (more of a grilling book, but I'd still recommend both for the grill recipes and the rib and butt recipes) and Smokestack Lightning. The latter is more of a tour through the south and the barbecue culture. There are a few recipes but it's more of a reader, than a recipe book. I've thoroughly enjoyed it though and would recommend.

There are a lot of great books out there but I have gotten a lot of use out of Chris Schlesinger's books particularly Let the Flames Begin. I also think Raichlen's How to Grill is a great primer and I'd second the recommendation of BBQ USA. Smokewise, Smoke and Spice by the Jamisons is great. There's always room for another good BBQ book.

I got Low and Slow and Weber's Way to Grill on order right now. And when Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book is released tomorrow, I'll probably get that one too.

-Mike

I have several by the Jamison's, all good. They have a great variety of recipes.
My favorites though are probably Peace, Love, and Barbecue by Mike Mills, and Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ cookbook

Big Time BBQ is a real good book. Alot of fun photos in it also from competitions and i have to say it covers alot of fun ideas and some not so typical ones at that.

the dinosaur cookbook has some really nice recipes for sides and non-bbq entrees.

I also end up refering to tarantino's glaze, rub, brine, marinade book a bit when I'm trying to concoct some more exotic bbq.

I haven't found too many books that help much with traditional bbq. once you figure out how to smoke or smoke roast something, its all about the spices and the sauces, and as far as that end goes, most books are fairly pedestrian. That's why I usually rate a book by how good the side dishes are or how nutty things get with the 'cue, hence the above recommendations.

OK, its late, I've been working, and I think I used "hence" in a post...time for bed.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I like the Paul Kirk book you got. Good recipies and I love the time table and temp to cook your food too the vinegar sauce is one of my favorites.

Ray Lampke is a fun read

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
the dinosaur cookbook has some really nice recipes for sides and non-bbq entrees.

I also end up refering to tarantino's glaze, rub, brine, marinade book a bit when I'm trying to concoct some more exotic bbq.

I haven't found too many books that help much with traditional bbq. once you figure out how to smoke or smoke roast something, its all about the spices and the sauces, and as far as that end goes, most books are fairly pedestrian. That's why I usually rate a book by how good the side dishes are or how nutty things get with the 'cue, hence the above recommendations.

OK, its late, I've been working, and I think I used "hence" in a post...time for bed.
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i totally agree with J. for cookbooks its all about the sides or specific recipes for kitchen ovens. i use cookbooks for breads and pastries and such that require specific mixes and techniques. bbq is a general cooking method and doesnt really require a cookbook. recipes are found mainly for spices mixes for rubs bbq sauces and side dishes. all the info you need for the basics of producing bbq is in the wsm manual or on this website in the how to use a wsm section.

peace, love and bbq and smokestack lightning are my 2 favorites, especially if you're new to the thing and really want to get your head in the philosophy/history/mindset of bbq. i'm not big on recipe books, i just need a few basic ideas and then adapt my own stuff from there.

FYI...many of these books are linked on the Shopping page. Using those links to purchase from Amazon helps defray the cost of bringing you TVWB.

There is also an Amazon search box at the bottom of the page that you can use to find books not listed on the page. Just search and add the book to your cart and TVWB is supported.

Regards,
Chris

Just picked up "Serious Barbecue" by Adam Perry Lang.

Have yet to try any of the recipes, but they sure sound good. Hopefully this weekend we'll give one or two a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom P:
Just picked up "Serious Barbecue" by Adam Perry Lang.

Have yet to try any of the recipes, but they sure sound good. Hopefully this weekend we'll give one or two a try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I just received a copy of the book as well. I love it. Adam has a unique approach to cooking. First book in a while that makes me hungrier each page I flip. Another book which is also pretty good is the new Paul Kirk book"AMericas Best BBQ" . It is a compliation of recipes from BBQ joints all over the country. They are both on the forums amazon page

I got started on "Smoke and Spice" by the Jamisons. In the forward, they kept insisting that "the only way to do "real" southern BBQ was on a log burning pit." Well, they were wrong, but within 6 months I had a Klose 36" x 20" backyard pit! I hardly ever open BBQ books anymore!

I just saw that chris lilly put out a cookbook as of yesterday and I saw a positive review for it. It seems like it might be nice for my library. Anybody hear anything good or bad about this book?

amazon link

Cool... thanks for all the input!! I am at the stage where making and maintaining my fire is a given but there are so many flavors as far as marinate, rub, mustard slather and glazing are concerned I haven't even scratched the surface. I seldomly copy recipies from a book but more over use them for guidelines and inspiration. When cooking different types of meats I like to do a little homework to find out if there are any particular needs or hang ups with that type.

Chris: I will be sure to use the amazon link as this site is great and I am happy to support
icon_smile.gif

Back