Faux Pastrami going saux wrong

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
I've been using Chris' Faux Pastrami results for years with pretty good results. Until last night. Had frozen two small--what I thought were brisket flats--from a Kroger's post-St. Patty Day corned beef sale. Upon removal from the cryopak, they looked like chuck or round. I thought "Oh, well." I cooked according to the recipe until 160 internal, then used the Ruhlman trick of 2-3 hours at 275 in a sealed (steam) water bath. For my homemade from-scratch pastrami using both flats and points, this approach has been outstanding. Even our daughter who spent her college years in NYC said it was some of the best she'd ever tasted. (I think she spent more at the Second Avenue Deli than I did in tuition payments.) Anyhow, it came out horrendous. I mean the proverbial shoe leather. I was humiliated to serve it. I tried cutting as thinly as possible but to no avail. Such a disappointment.

Never again.

Don't know what to tell you. I've used about every lean cut of beef you could think of and never had a problem with flavor or texture (I cure my own). Are you sure you didn't slice it with the grain?

Back