Fatties - 1st impression

Kirk Boorman

TVWBB Super Fan
Last weekend I made some fatties with JD hot and maple sausage. Maybe my expectations were a bit high after what I've read but I wasn't too impressed, especially with the texture. They were grainy and not too appealing. I wonder if they might be better if I use a different brand like Bob Evans or Hatfield? I think what I missed most was the browning you get from pan frying.

The only thing I use 'em for is sausage gravy and biscuits.

I use JD and Kroger brands, both work well for me. Roll 'em in rub, BBQ 'em til done with a pan underneath to catch the grease to start the gravy with. Crumble it up. Makes great sausage gravy!

Hi Kirk... I like the JD Maple the best. How long did you cook them? I generally cook until the internal temp is 165. For the maple, I rarely use any seasoning. For the regular, sage and hot, I like to roll them in rub as John suggested.

You can also try a '3-2-1' variation on a fatty. I generally don't bother, but a have tried it and it came out great.

Excuse my ignorance guys, but what is a "fatty"? I am guessing it is a type of sausage, but up here in Canada I have never heard of them.

James, I didn't know until I read about them here. It's a roll of breakfast sausage that you roll in bacon or rub, or both I supppose, and smoke.

I did one last weekend at the tail end of a chuck roll cook. I agree with Kirk that they are lacking from not being browned. So, I sliced the whole thing up into 1/2" or so slices and have been browning the slices in a pan with butter. Quick and darn good!

I cooked them to 165 internal. I think my biggest issue was the texture. The more I think about it, only one was "grainy" (the hot I think) and the other wasn't too bad. The grainy one might have been a little overdone. I'll have to pay a little closer attention next time. I'm going to give it another shot with some Bob Evan's and some Hatfield's that I have and I'll try some rub too. I think I'm going to wind up slicing and browning like Dave.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Tucker:
Excuse my ignorance guys, but what is a "fatty"? I am guessing it is a type of sausage, but up here in Canada I have never heard of them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know, James, the term was first used on the old Bandera Brethren site (now the BBQ Brethren, http://www.bbq-brethren.com). We have several guys who are menbers of both forums, and the term has "cross-polinated".

Whenever I fire up my cooker, I throw in a fatty or two. I like the JD brand best, but I have used Bob Evans, Old folks and a coupl dof others. At once competition, we cooked a maple JD brand and turned it in for the sausage category and took 4th place! I enjoy them sliced right out of the cooker, but I also like to slice what is leftover and pan fry the slices and eat on a biscuit with a slice of cheese. You can also smoke the italian-season ones and then crumble it into tomato sauce or on a pizza. Yum-o...

I've smoked fatties a couple of times using Tennesee Farm and Jimmy Dean brand sausages, and for the most part, they've turned out well. One time it came out a bit dry, but the last time I made them, after a couple of hours in the smoker, I added apple juice to some foil and rolled them up and let them cook for another hour or so. Turned out moist, tasty , and had a very nice smoke ring!

Randy

Back