Fattie

Buy a roll of Jimmy Dean (or your other favorite). Roll it lightly in whatever rub you are using that day. Toss it on the smoker. Run it up to 155-160, remove, rest for at least 10 minutes, and enjoy. There's no smoking easier.

Steve, you can also check out "Other Meats" at the site map. There is a wealth of info there and you can always search the "Find" box, upper left of the page.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Forwe:
Can someone point me in the right direction to learn step by step on the best way to roll a fattie? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm guessing you want to know how to use bulk/loose sausage, and use a filling then roll it back up into a log? Try and keep the sausage cold, and work quickly. You can put a sheet pan in the freezer and work on top of that. Use like a 14"X17" jelly roll pan and it will form 3 of the 4 sides for you.
icon_wink.gif
Parchment paper works best IMO. Roll your sausage out on the parchment paper to about 3/16-1/4" thick. Once you have it pretty even and the right thickness put the pan with the sausage still on the parchment back in the freezer for 5-10 min so it firms up. Once it firms up, add the filling and lift the on side of the parchment and bring it up to where the end overlaps into the rolled out sausage about an 1" and just roll it up using the parchment. The last part is hard to explain, but your hands shouldn't touch the sausage, when rolling using the parchment as the rolling tool. Not the best explanation I know, but it's the best I can do. You can roll it with your hands on the parchment if you want to. Add some rub if you want to and cook to an internal of 155º carry over heat during the rest will take it to 160º. HTH

I'm glad you guys jumped in here 'cause, I didn't EVEN want to touch this question. I mean, HEY! I'm a HUGE Doobie Brothers fan!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

I do it somewhat different than Bryan, but it's the same concept, sorta. On a cutting board take a lb of sausage and make your square, put your filling in the square leaving about an inch on each end, left and right. (I usually place the filling about 2 inches from the edge closest to me as well) Start to roll the sausage (I use gloved hands) and roll it all the way down, front to back. While doing this I press the ends together to form a seal so the filling doesn't come out during the cook. Once you have your roll mostly formed place the fattie on a piece of plastic wrap on the edge closest to you. Start rolling and tightening the roll as you go. Don't press too hard or you'll end up with a long skinny fattie. I make mine about 8 inches long. Once you get to the end of the plastic wrap grab the excess wrap on each end and start twisting (kind of like you would with a loaf of bread) This will tighten and form your fattie into a real nice tight roll. Put in the fridge, cool and cook. Like Bryan said, the colder the meat and the quicker you work the easier it is. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't. I can roll a fattie quicker than I wrote this message. ( do what you want with that statement
icon_rolleyes.gif
)

Cream cheese and pepperoni slices make a great filling. Add some diced japs for a bit more bite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
... I can roll a fattie quicker than I wrote this message. ( do what you want with that statement
icon_rolleyes.gif
) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Awww, come on ... It's been 30 years! LOL

What is the preferred meat for fatties?
Bulk italian, sweet or hot?
Or good ol' pork breakfast chubs (I love me the hot breakfast sausage)?

What kind of cheeses do people like to use? I used Cabot's Hunter's Favorite Extra Sharp Cheddar last weekend. Cheddar got grainy, should I used a smoother melting cheese I guess?

I'm a fan of Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack. Both cook very nicely, hold their shape etc.

Wifey and I rolled out a lb of sweet italian sausage, placed a log of provolone in it and made our first fattie! It goes on the grill tomorrow with 2 butts and a chub of breakfast sausage.

Wish I'd taken pics of it. I'll definately take pics of the whole cook.

All this for my 2nd cook on the WSM.

Back