Fathers day smoke

Alan Rockwood

TVWBB Member
Did a pork shoulder and a brisket today (fathers day.) It was probably my best brisket so far, and a pretty good pulled pork, at least by my standard.

Anyone else cook for fathers day?

Alan

Alan, I did two shoulders and some ribs. Cooked the shoulders for about 15 hours then rested for 3. They came out awesome. It was my first cook on the WSM, I used to use my ECB. I had some problems with temp. too low, but figured it out. I actually let the water level drop too low and the grease started burning. It gave new meaning to the word SMOKER. A neighbor came by and thought the house was on fire.
icon_biggrin.gif
I blew it on the spare ribs though. They were overcooked and dry. I just hope I can clean out the Brinkmann pan. We had some pulled pork sandwiches.....soooooooo good!!

I did a 13 lb brisket and an 8 lb picnic. Brisket took about an hour a pound but the picnic took 17 hours. I'm glad I did it as an overnighter.

Also, I only used a full ring of the old Kingsford for the 17 hour cook. Gotta love the WSM.
icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Father's Day to All. My 16 and 28 year old son's and my 5 year old granddaughter joined me. I smoked Bourbon Glazed Spareribs on Saturday night and made my <ahem> World Famous Cherry Cornish Hens today. My older boy and granddaughter have much more delicate palates than me and my younger, so I had to dial down the heat. Still, a good time was had by all.

Side note: my neighbor broke out his grill and spent 20 minutes trying to get it fired up with the aid of a leaf blower for ventilation! Too funny!

Back