Faster way to prep beef ribs

BillW

TVWBB Member
I looove beef back ribs, but hate the time it takes for the preparation of them(i.e. pulling the membrane off of the back of the ribs). Any suggestions in peeling the off quickly without too much swearing or am I just being too picky when it comes to making them?

Bill if they are cold, right out of the fridge, you should be able to slide a butter knife under the membrane and then use a paper towel and pull it off. Sometimes it's easier than others. Worse comes to worse, just score the back of them with a sharp knife.

Hot? Cold? Now I'm really confused!
icon_rolleyes.gif

I am actually making beef back ribs for the first time this weekend in my 18.5 and was wondering about the membrane. With pork babybacks, I've had the best luck after letting the ribs sit out of the refrig for awhile before I go after the membrane with the butter knife, etc.

What Bob said. I don't cook them often, but I long ago gave up on the membrane on bbr's. It's just a pain, and, as noted above, it is more prone to tearing easily than the membrane on pork ribs. I either will score it, or just ignore it completely. I'm generally ignoring that side of the rib when I'm chowing down anyway, so it doesn't bother me much. Scoring will help some rendered fat drain off, so worth the small effort.

Rich

Just prepped four racks of BBR this AM and I'm 2.5 of 4. Two no problem, one about 1/2 of the rack and the last one--no way.

I find pulling the membrane off of beef ribs easier than pork ribs. Sure they take more force but they do not tear as easily.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try scoring them and see how that goes. Maybe I just need to practice more!
icon_wink.gif

Back