Fancy chimney/charcoal starter...?

ToddF

TVWBB Member
I saw one years ago where the grate that holds the coals actually slides out or drops away or something like that. Anybody know what I'm talking about/where to get one?

(Aside: My present chimney was a gift from a buddy when I was leaving the military *gulp* 15 years ago... Before I married, he and I shared bachelor base housing and would grill almost every Friday. After marrying, I moved into married housing down the street. He was gone a lot, but always left his garage open for me to "borrow" his chimney--I say "borrow" because I never brought it back, he always had to come looking for it!
icon_wink.gif
When I got my orders home, he brought me a brand spanking new one that I've used--and thought about him each time--for the last, well, 15 years... I'll prolly keep using it, bent from the years of heat as it is, just might be nice to have the slide away version as well.)

Oh, BTW, the weber does not slide away, but there appears to be a couple that does under the surefirecoals site.

This to save the massive energy involved in turning it upside down??? I mean, you've got to lift it up to get rid of the paper ashes, but I suppose the time saved could be used to open a beer. Hm. Have to get one.

Am I the only person to use an electric charcoal starter? The kind that looks like a heating element?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete D.:
Am I the only person to use an electric charcoal starter? The kind that looks like a heating element? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used several over the years...all broke fairly quickly....for me nothing is as easy as a chimney over the side burner of the gasser...

Agree with Don. Of course I use the Performer a lot to light my chimney.

AFA the Brinkman chimney shown - I keep thinking it wouldn't work that great for lump? I would think the sliding door would hang up from pieces of lump poking through it. Briquettes would probably work just fine.

Back