Fan On Setting

Tom O.

TVWBB Member
I am really slow about understanding the settings on the "Configuration" page. My setup is fine and working like a champ out of the box so to speak with my Kamado Joe Classic II..

But what I want to do is have the fan come on ONLY after the servo opens the vent to about 75%... then have full fan output ramp up from there to 100% fan at 100% servo vent.

Can someone give me a bit of instructions as to what numbers go in what box?

This forum really sucks as the home-base for the Heatermeter because of the "No attachments Allowed" policy, apparently dating from the 80's, or I would post a screenshot of my current setup. Or someone could post a photo of what the settings need to be. :)

Tom

I am really slow about understanding the settings on the "Configuration" page. My setup is fine and working like a champ out of the box so to speak with my Kamado Joe Classic II..

But what I want to do is have the fan come on ONLY after the servo opens the vent to about 75%... then have full fan output ramp up from there to 100% fan at 100% servo vent.

Can someone give me a bit of instructions as to what numbers go in what box?

This forum really sucks as the home-base for the Heatermeter because of the "No attachments Allowed" policy, apparently dating from the 80's, or I would post a screenshot of my current setup. Or someone could post a photo of what the settings need to be. :)

Tom

I believe there's a line that says fan on at [ ] min [ ] max [ ]

Basically, that's the output of the controller you want the fan to come on at, and the minimum and maximum that you want it to run at for scaling.

Typically, I have my fan come on at 30% output. Then the fan is spanned from say 30% voltage to 65%.

Basically, that's the output of the controller you want the fan to come on at, and the minimum and maximum that you want it to run at for scaling.
Not quite, but close!

The full documentation is in the wiki, but here's the highlights.
  • Set the output % you want the fan to turn ON at "Fan on above". At this point it will turn on at 0% and scale up from there to [MAX] at 100% output.
  • Max - The maximum speed of the blower at 100% output. Startup Max is the same thing except only used from setpoint change until the first time temperature is achieved.
  • Min - This is the one Martin had wrong I think. It is actually the minimum fan speed that your fan spins at. In voltage mode, 0.000001% output is 5V. If your fan doesn't run at 5V, turn up "Min" until it does. In this mode the Fan will pulse on at Min speed and completely off proportional to the output needed. Nobody needs this using the stock blower and almost all other blowers. In Pulse mode, you would need it but only people who don't have the hardware to support voltage mode would use Pulse mode. (HeaterMeter <v4.1.0?)
  • Servo "Fully open at" - The servo starts opening at 0% and will reach 100% openness at this output %.

I like to stage the damper and blower so I get 0-50% is damper only, and the damper is fully open at 50% and then the blower kicks on (0%) at 50% output and goes up to full at 100% output. That's:
-- Fan on above 50%
-- Damper fully open at 50%
-- All other settings default. (Voltage Fan Min=0, Max=100, StartupMax=100)

For your 75% scenario, if you want the damper to still only be open 75% at 75%, then leave the servo settings stock (Fully open at 100%), and just raise the "Fan on above" to 75%.

Last edited:
....... snip..................
I like to stage the damper and blower so I get 0-50% is damper only, and the damper is fully open at 50% and then the blower kicks on (0%) at 50% output and goes up to full at 100% output. That's:
-- Fan on above 50%
-- Damper fully open at 50%
......... snip........................

These are the settings I found work best with my Grilla Kong. At low-and-slow temperatures the fan doesn't run at all and the temperature stays at the set point plus or minus a degree and a half while the damper cycles between 5 and 25%. Actually, the range of the damper is normally even less than that.

Back