Fan for fireboard drive 2

A Omari

Have WSM 18. Was going to get the Fireboard fan, but have seen that the majority of folks are going for the pit viper fan. Is there anything to watch out for with the Fireboard fan? Seems both have adaptors available that should fit the WSM, and the Pit viper has half the CFM. Any reason one is better than the other? Thanks in advance!

super late reply but Ive been researching temp control units, as far as I can tell people that had the bbqguru dx2 dx 3 with pit viper motor upgraded to fireboard 2 without purchasing a new blower. Apparently it works better with the fireboard 2 as it limits voltage to the motor instead of on-off full rpm pulses that the bbq guru does.

The pit viper 10 cfm motor has more than enough air to keep a wsm going , anything bigger seems like overkill for that size smoker.

I havent pulled the trigger yet but the fireboard 2 drive with a pit viper motor seems like an option Im interested in, I am also looking at the flameboss 500 and guru dx3....the fireboard 2 with pit viper came up slightly less $$$ than the 500...

I use the Pit Viper 10CFM with the BBQ Guru WSM adapter. It does a great job. This is a shot of the first two hours of a rib cook. The FireBoard 2 Drive and Pit Viper fan kept a steady 250 degrees. Then the ribs got wrapped in foil and put in the oven.

Ribs.jpgIMG-0432.jpg

I’m curious, can you use the Drive without the special adapter cable to drive the Pit Viper like you can with the Fireboard fan or does it require the adapter cable plus an additional power source?

I use the Pit Viper as well. The Fireboard 2 Drive does not require the dongle. The fans aren’t smart, it’s just a barrel connector, so it’s all controlled by power. Any fan (12v I believe) with the same size connector should work.

Ok, so then I could use the pit viper instead of the fireboard fan with my Drive without needing the extra cable or additional power supply. Thanks!

Back