Fajita Chicken Theighs

Jeff_S

TVWBB Fan
Around here in central Texas, we have a grocery store called HEB (its the guy's initials who started a mom&pop store in Kerville).
Anyway, they make these vacuum-packed raw chicken bags (theighs and breasts) pre-marinating in fajita stuff...my wife and I both really enjoy grilling these theighs and eating them during the week. I was wondering about cooking them up in the smoker...I will either:
- use the standard method (just on chimney outta do it) and NO water pan at all, use just the top grate...probably toss a hunk of mesquite on there, too
OR
- use a modified Minion method (1 full chimney of lit on top of 1 full chimney of unlit, 1 hunk of mesquite) with the water pan, and possibly use both grates (and cook more meat).

Anybody have any suggestions? Is it a problem to use the smoker without the water pan, all the meat on the top grate, and all vents open? Outta get plenty hot enough to cook those theighs.

Jeff

Jeff - no there's no problem leaving out the water pan and opening vents. I do it all the time. It's a great way to do a high-heat cook. You'll easily get it well above 300 degrees.

For thighs, which won't take long to cook at all, I'd just throw 2 fully lit chimneys in at the same time. That will be plenty to cook a full load of thighs.

It's only time for breakfast here, but I'm already hungry...

- Adam

Back