Factory thermometer

Nate A

I removed the factory thermometer last night and tested it in boiling water. Only came up to around 175 and stalled. Has anybody else had this come up? I was really hoping the temp was accurate so I could use it instead of a digital (really dont want to fool with probes every cook). Everybody has said their therms are accurate so I wonder if Weber would replace this therm?

I had five factory Weber thermometers and all were inaccurate the best was about 15F cooler to one that was 55F cooler. I replaced them all with River Country 2” thermometers and have been very happy with them. You can also calibrate them yourself if the need ever arises. All of mine are spot on from the factory.
But with that said I only use them as a general reference and a just in case another probe goes south which they sometimes do. You can't beat a digital probe thermometer for monitoring your meat temps, plus you're not popping the lid to check all the time.

Rich,

How did you cover the slit in the lid that for the therm housing? Thanks.

I had five factory Weber thermometers and all were inaccurate the best was about 15F cooler to one that was 55F cooler. I replaced them all with River Country 2” thermometers and have been very happy with them. You can also calibrate them yourself if the need ever arises. All of mine are spot on from the factory.
But with that said I only use them as a general reference and a just in case another probe goes south which they sometimes do. You can't beat a digital probe thermometer for monitoring your meat temps, plus you're not popping the lid to check all the time.

Everybody has said their therms are accurate so I wonder if Weber would replace this therm?
Not everybody... My 22" WSM is a '13 model and the thermo is just decoration.

I've known it was off for a while, but just informing anyone else who views the thread...
A9DED658-4731-44FE-ADDF-4EF2FF5852AE-567-000000358E89DF0D_zpsac2aead4.jpg

As you can see from the Food Temp (in a pork butt) the smoker has been running a while and it's not coming up to temp.
311D9714-F514-4201-B0E1-4D0907349A53-567-00000035302AF022_zps8b01e362.jpg

2F86D42D-7C72-4947-9C25-498E8E9F6CA1-567-000000357165E7A4_zps0c848aa3.jpg

There's too many variables during cooking in a WSM that make the lid thermo inaccurate ( food location, opening lid,etc) IMHO. In the long runs its just better to get a digital.

Chad's experiment just proves that

22 smokey mountain.

That I can't help you with as I don't own one (yet) just a mini I'm learning on. But as you can see from Chad’s demo that they are inherently inaccurate. If I was using a WSM I would strictly be digital. When your smoking lots of $$ worth of meat why take a chance.

Last edited:
The factory thermometer on my 18.5" WSM is frequently different than the probe on by BBQ Guru. It was enough different that Ipoked around in there, as best I could, with a thermo of known very good accuracy.

Evidently, it depends on where you measure, as much as what you use. I suppose that the convection currents create differences, too. The probe, stuck on the bottom of the top grate is always quite a bit hotter than the WSM built-in in the lid.

Not a problem, if you understand that food placement and location may very well affect your measurement.

I started my first cook on my 22 WSM about 3 hours ago. A 9lb Boston Butt. Using a CDN dual probe and a CDN single probe therms to keep an eye on things. At 250 they agree with the Weber therm. Much below and above the CDN units are within abt 6-8 deg of each other and the Weber therm is all over the place. 1 of the CDN unit probe is right next to the weber probe and the dual CDN unit probe is stuck in the meat right at the top grate leave. Sticking with the readings on the CDN's.

Back