Fab-P pulled pork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian L.

TVWBB Super Fan
I got a picnic on the WSM chugging along at 240. I injected it with Fap-P and rubbed it down with Dixie Dust. Guess what, I have a digital camera now! Here is a couple pics from my begining, will post more at the end and give results for the Fab-P!
shoulderbare3.jpg

shouldrub.jpg

Susan,

Do a search here on the "Ingredient Store". Its a product marketed by Joe Ames to enhance flavor and moisture retention. I've used FAB-B, but not FAB-P yet. I'd post the URL, but have some limitation here at work.

Brian - let us know how you like the injection!

There are 4 products, Fab B, Fab B Lite, Fab P (pork)and Fab C (poultry). Joe Ames from the Ingredient Store is a great guy to work with, he has a great knowledge of sausage making and curing of meats.
I would start with water but when you use the product next time try fruit juices and see what you like better.
Jim

Jim,
When you say try with fruit juice, do you mean any of the FAB products or just w/ pork or chicken. Can't say that I would have put say apple juice with beef, but it does sound nice w/ pork.

When I ordered from Mr. Ames, I did so over the phone. Took about 30 minutes but I did get a very informative lesson on Fab and other meat facts too. Really nice guy.

Yea, I misspelled FAB-P. My picnic is still going, it's rainy and windy and has been all night/day. It is at 170 so it shouldn't be long. I'll report on how the FAB-P tastes after I'm done, and some pics. I thought about using juice or stock, but for the 1st I just mixed it with water.

The Dixie Dust has sugar,salt,garlic and onion powder, dehydrted green bell peppers,lemon powder,orange zest, and other things. It's good stuff!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian L.:The Dixie Dust has sugar,salt,garlic and onion powder, dehydrted green bell peppers,lemon powder,orange zest, and other things. It's good stuff! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Brian, I'll look for it. Sounds Great.

Joe
Apple juice and beef works, you can simply replace the water in the recipe for a juice (all or part of the water).

What info did Joe pass on if your willing to say?
Jim

I'm done! after 18 hours on the pit and almost 4 inches of rain to boot! It tastes pretty good. I think I used too much FAB-P though. I used 2 oz per pound (mixed water to Fab 2 to one). I think next time I will use about half that amount and replace the water with apple juice with a bit of pineapple juice.
offthepit.jpg

boneout.jpg

pulled.jpg

Brian,

Do you really think that FAB-P adds anything to the final product? I always thought pork butt was plenty flavorful, moist, juicy and tender. Is it something you think you will use much of or was this experimentation?

I think it enhances the flavor, except I think I used too much so I can taste it seperately from the pork, if that makes any sense, it's kinda hard to describe. I may try it again this weekend if I don't have to go on the road. Also I thought it enhanced the texture greatly, I was very pleased with the result of the texture.
If I get to try it again I will let yall know how it turns out. I don't know if I will use it much or not, just experimentation at this point.

Hiya Brian

The pic look kinda flourescent orange, is that the FAB or an artifact of the lighting? If it's the FAB, I could see that it might just be tasteable.

morgan

I was going to make the same observation...an orange butt is odd looking. IS it the Fab-P making it that color or your rub?

Jim M.

Joe spoke long about the moisture retention properties (phosphate replentishing) of the FAB products, info that is available throughout the web. One word of caution he gave was to be careful when adding acid to liquids mixed with FAB products.

I've only tried on beef so far and only mixed w/ water, but I'll give the apple juice a go next time.

Brian - i wouldnt cut back on the amount of FAB used but I would dillute it more. Consider at least 3 parts water (or apple juice) to 1 part FAB.

The pork looks tasty, nice job,

Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian L.:
I think I used too much FAB-P though. I used 2 oz per pound (mixed water to Fab 2 to one). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back