Eyelets on an 18"

Miguel M

TVWBB Pro
Please excuse my ignorance...I've searched and would like to know if the Cajun eyelets fit into the screws that are already there?

I just purchased an 18" WSM last month and it has remained dormant. Just want a great first run!

Thanks for your input!

Miguel

To piggyback on Miguel's question... what do you recommend for eyelets for a Maverick 732 thermometer? If I understand correctly, the probes are larger diameter than previous models. Where is the best placement on an 18.5"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miguel M:
Please excuse my ignorance...I've searched and would like to know if the Cajun eyelets fit into the screws that are already there?

I just purchased an 18" WSM last month and it has remained dormant. Just want a great first run!

Thanks for your input!

Miguel </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use the BBQ Guru eyelets and they fit into where the stock bolts are. BUT if you are going to use the Maverick ET-732 they apparently don't fit through them. I have a ET-73 and you can fit both probes through the same eyelet.

There are some options if you look in the WSM mod forum.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/254101435

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/945107275

I went the el-cheapo route and just removed one of the top bolts from the grate supports (grill straps).

There's more than enough support from the bottom bolt and all the other bolts. And there's enough gunk built up it sorta glues the support in place.

It's a 1/4" hole so there shouldn't be any problem with the ET-732 probes.

I have the BBQ Guru eyelets. I think there's enough material perhaps that you can just run a drill through them to make the opening a bit bigger?? Not sure since I don't have set of the newer 732 probes to check.

But the heavy duty accessory probes I bought for my ET73 which were thicker than standard fit fine without drilling. But didn't have the 90 degree bend, it was actually a shallower bend on these. When I had the originals I wasn't using the eyelets.

Anyway just a thought that if you only need a few thousandths to allow the bend to make it through you could just take a number drill and clean out the hole enough. Might be simpler to do the drilling after the eyelets are installed. You could hold at the crimp with a pair of pliers. Also the crimp would be full thickness when installed which might be better.

Thanks for all of the great input! It was very helpful!

Stefan - I currently have the ET-73, but will definitely upgrade to the 732 at some point, so it's good to know about how they fit. Thanks for the pic and links too!

Travis - very cost effective!

r b - great idea about boring out the hole a little more...never really crossed my mind.

I'll be sure to post pics of what I end up doing.

Thanks guys!

I don't think that drilling out the guru eyelets will accomodate the 732 probes. I didn't try drilling them out because when I tried to put them through, it didn't even seem close. I went to Home Depot and picked up a 3/8 threaded brass nipple from the plumbing fittings and some brass nuts and caps from the lamp section. I drilled the screw holes in the grill rack and cooker out to 3/8 and threaded the fitting in there with a nut on each side. I also cut the nipple off flush with the nut on the inside but that wasn't really necessary. You can use the cap to seal them up when not in use. I got the idea from the thread in the Mods section. Not as hard or scary to do as it sounds.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Armando:
I don't think that drilling out the guru eyelets will accomodate the 732 probes. I didn't try drilling them out because when I tried to put them through, it didn't even seem close. I went to Home Depot and picked up a 3/8 threaded brass nipple from the plumbing fittings and some brass nuts and caps from the lamp section. I drilled the screw holes in the grill rack and cooker out to 3/8 and threaded the fitting in there with a nut on each side. I also cut the nipple off flush with the nut on the inside but that wasn't really necessary. You can use the cap to seal them up when not in use. I got the idea from the thread in the Mods section. Not as hard or scary to do as it sounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember that thread. That seems like the best idea to me given that there's nothing you can do with the Guru eyelets to make them work. Even so - since the hardware is local even better in my opinion. I had no way to check with actual 732 probes when I posted.

It would be curious to see if Guru makes a change to their product and also if the ones from Stoker have the same limitation. Seems like any solution using the standard screw holes. The Guru eyelets are really nice. Seems as though if they do a redesign they may have to also provide a drill bit with the kit
icon_wink.gif

Back