Eye of Round Roast

Travis Maddox

Butcher gave me an Eye of Round roast that is about 5lbs. From the looks of it there doesn't appear much you can do it with, it even have a hint of fat on it. Wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to prepare it on a Weber (Kettle or WSM).

The other option I've heard is to do it almost like a prime rib in the oven, just heat up to 500 and cook it for 10 minutes, then turn the oven off and let it slow cook for a few hours.

I cook on the kettle at 325* inject with beef baste and coated with SPOG. take it to 135* Add lager to remaining beef base to make an au jus. Serve withe kettle roasted sweet potatoes.

I'd say cook it as slowly as possible and then sear at the end.

Personally I do mine sous vide. If that's not an option, then marinate for a couple days with some worcestershire, salt, and black pepper and maybe a dash of fish sauce or anchovy. Then grill-roast at 200 until rare inside, rest, and then sear over high heat. Cut as thin as humanly possible across the grain.

Make pit beef with it!!!

This. It won't benefit from slow cooking and may come out dry if you did. I'd reverse sear it to 130 and slice thin, season, serve on rolls with mayo/horseradish and soaked onions. Great stuff.

That's Baltimore pit beef btw. :D

I am with John and Maryland style Pit Beef. Anything over medium though and it will be tough.

We do eye of round on the smoker all the time -- the only way I like it, as I find it a bit dry when people roast it. If you have the time, you can marinate it for a day or two, which comes out really well. We've also "rubbed" it and then chilled it for a day.

It's great to slice thin and also for sandwiches, and there's absolutely no waste. We, too, will often accompany the meat with horseradish sauce. We reheat the slices in beef au jus in the microwave and also plop on a couple of pieces of provolone for melting. Great on a bun but my husband likes those types of sandwiches open face.

Back