Expensive Mistake.

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Well lesson learned. Decided to do a high heat brisket cook on the Camp Chef with a real nice prime brisket from Costco.
I thought I had pulled out of my recipe file the HH brisket cook that Chris had posted… wrong!
This caused three mistakes with the cook.

1. I should have cooked it on the upper rack to get the meat away from the super-hot heat coming off the tray below the lower grate. Simulating the upper rack of a WSM.

2. The recipe called for cooking at 275 to 170 then place in heavy duty foil and cook at 325-350 to 203. Probe and if done leave in foil for about 30 minutes.
Mistake was using pink butcher paper instead of foil, let the meat dry out.

3. Total cook time was 7 hours compared to Chris’s recipe of 4 – 5 hours.

Don’t know what I’ll do with about 6lbs. of overcooked flat that resembles beef jerky more than brisket. The point seems savable.
I sure won’t make that mistake again.
At least the beans and Barbs Cole slaw was good and Barb made a cheesecake in the instant pot that was great with apple pay filling topping.

101_5726.JPG

101_5730.JPG

101_5738.JPG

101_5740.JPG

101_5746.JPG

101_5747.JPG

101_5750.JPG

101_5755.JPG

101_5761.JPG

It sure looks good, nice smoke ring!
I did a HH packer for Labor day, that took me about 8 hrs.
I'm using the last of it today in the slow cooker for minestrone soup. ( perfect day, cool and rainy)

I tried HH brisket only once, total fail, super tough, ever since then it was back to nice low and slow midnight Brisket.

I tried HH brisket only once, total fail, super tough, ever since then it was back to nice low and slow midnight Brisket.

I hear you, but I've done four using Chris's recipe and they were outstanding. This one was wrong recipe, methods and materials. I'll try the one Chris has in TVWB again on the CC using the right technics and see how it goes.
Getting to old and impatient for L&S:D

Back