exotic spice rubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone ever tried making rubs with cardoman, cinnamon, saffron, tumeric, fennel seeds, etc? All I ever see are the usual spices like paprika, black pepper, chili powder, etc. What are the basic parameters for making a good rub? Should there always be salt and sugar? Any help appreciated.

To learn about the basic parameters of making rubs, buy a copy of Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ Sauces & Rubs. This book explains all the theory you need to know.

Regarding exotic spices in rubs, I've seen recipes that include cinnamon, anise, and tumeric. Several of these are discussed in Chef Paul's book.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 05-20-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeff lowe:
Has anyone ever tried making rubs with cardoman, cinnamon, saffron, tumeric, fennel seeds, etc? All I ever see are the usual spices like paprika, black pepper, chili powder, etc. What are the basic parameters for making a good rub? Should there always be salt and sugar? Any help appreciated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very late reply (I wasn't even a member yet when you posted):

Maybe you've found your answers by now but I use the spices you mentioned-and several other "exotics"--all the time in my rubs. Let me know if you're still interested.

I don't know if Jeff is even around anymore but anyway...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Has anyone ever tried making rubs with cardoman, cinnamon, saffron, tumeric, fennel seeds, etc? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cinnamon, Allspice and Cardamon are pretty frequently used in rubs. I use them quite a bit in my sweet and heat pork rib rubs.

I also use Cinnamon, Allspice, a little Nutmeg and a touch of Clove in a Ground Coffee rub that I sometimes use on beef brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What are the basic parameters for making a good rub? Should there always be salt and sugar? Any help appreciated.[/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on what style of rub you are trying to build... a Texas style rub? a Dry Rib rub? a Sweet Southern rib rub? a Peppery hot pork rub?

Different strokes for different folks...

Thanks Chris,

I'm gonna order Paul Kirks book right away.
It was about a year ago that I started getting tired of the Paprika, Chili Powder, Garlic Powder type Rubs.
So I went on a quest to find something totally different.
Four of them that I found, I posted Here in the Rubs and Marinades section.
One of them does have Paprika as the main ingredient but does not have Chili Powder etc-

Jim C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back