Excited for tonight

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Tonight I am going to make ribs at my in laws house my own way. This is actually going to be my first time grilling ribs from the raw state as my mother in law always par boils them and my wife thinks they are too expensive to buy. I told my mother in law these will be the meanest and baddest most delicious ribs she has ever eaten and will never want to boil them ever again. I am also grilling up some roadside chicken drums for them for the first time. I will post pics later. Wish me luck.

Sounds awesome man, show em what you got! I have some really meaty BB's going right now, will be a good afternoon.

Boiled Ribs?
icon_eek.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_frown.gif
icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I told my mother in law these will be the meanest and baddest most delicious ribs she has ever eaten and </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe u have some bad *** confidence

But hey prove em your right,I know you are!

Good luck, and take pics - especially of your M-I-L when she's ooohing and ahhhing over those ribs.
icon_biggrin.gif

man, I'll tell ya. This week there was an article in the local paper about how to achieve the "ultimate FOTB ribs". Interviewed two "butchers" and both said the secret is boil them first... doesn't matter: baby back, belly, probably "country style" as well! Now I know why the folk in the North East get a bad rep. Unreal! I was so upset I contemplated calling the paper!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albert Adato:
BTW when people foil their pork ribs in aluminum they are kind of par-boiling or steaming the ribs, one reason purist avoids aluminum tenting since so much liquid is lost when you open the aluminum foil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Albert,

I'd just like to point out that the aluminum foil does, indeed, capture the liquid escaping from the ribs. This captured liquid is easily visualized. However, ribs not foiled also lose liquid in the form of drips and steam--neither of which is easily visualized or quantified.

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hat is like asking your pharmacist’s opinion on your up-coming brain surgery, they may know how to cut meat but doesn’t sound like they are the experts when it comes to cooking it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your right, but it wasn't me doing the asking and so because it's "in the newspaper" it must me right!

Here it is. My daughter decided to sleep a little later than normal during her afternoon nap. This set us behind a little bit. We got to the inlaws around 5:00 and I had the grill fired up and ready to go, had the rub on the ribs and put the ribs on about 5:20. Now mind you, I was using a gasser. I had brought along some apple wood to smoke the ribs. I had never done the method of soaking and putting the chips in an aluminum foil pouch with holes. I am used to using my kettle and throwing them right on the coals and getting instant smoke. I didn't realize it would take the foil pouch method a long time before it actually started smoking, but thinking back it makes sense. The wood and water have to heat up in the foil before the smoking begins, DUH! I grilled the ribs indirect @ 300 degrees for about two hours. During those two hours, I ocassionally sprayed the ribs with apple juice. With about 20 minutes left, I put on my MIL's homemade bbq sauce. I let them cook 10 minutes each side with the sauce on. After that I wrapped them tightly in foil, and let them rest for about 40 minutes. During this time, was when I made the Roadside chicken drums. Everyone really seemed to enjoy the ribs and chicken. It was not FOTB but they were juicy and tender and very flavorful. I thought I did pretty well for my first time. Here are some pics of the cook.

CIMG4525.jpg

CIMG4526.jpg

CIMG4529.jpg

CIMG4533.jpg

CIMG4530.jpg

CIMG4532.jpg

Here are my two daughters enjoying their ribs.

CIMG4535.jpg

CIMG4536.jpg

Man..I'd be proud to plate up ribs like that...well done....you are so lucky that i can't stick my hand through the screen and swipe one or two.(or the whole plate
icon_wink.gif
)

Cheers

Davo

Howdy hi Chuck,

Fine job with the ribs on a gasser! Looks like you have a couple future barbecue-judges-in-the-making too!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Albert Adato:
@ Whitehead I agree with you but some how I believe more flavor stays behind than when you dump the water from the aluminum, just picture evaporating sea water the salt will remain while the liquid goes poof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Albert, the sea salt analogy is good except for gravity. The liquid goes poof from the sea water--leaving salt behind. With the ribs, some of the liquid goes poof, but much--maybe most--of the expelled liquid simply drips off.

###

Back