Excellent Grill Cover

JPGodfrey

A month ago I purchased a Classic Accessories Veranda cover for my new Genesis 330. I got the large (64 inches), and it fits over the Genesis perfectly. It keeps the grill dry in torrential rain and winds. I ordered it from Amazon, and I highly recommend it.

JP

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of these for my 330 last year and LOVE IT! It does get a bit "stiff" in colder weather, but there is enough air flow to prevent a build-up of moss and moisture (I live in Seattle) and keeps everything dry. Word of advice: if you experience gusty winds, use the clamps provided to attach the cover to casters. Once a gust of wind gets up under the cover, it will come off quickly. Also, I have no idea how to clean the cover, but then again, I'm not concerned about a little dirt and discoloration.

I liked this cover so much I also bought a version of the same thing for my 18.5" WSM.

I bought one of these for my 330 last year and LOVE IT! It does get a bit "stiff" in colder weather, but there is enough air flow to prevent a build-up of moss and moisture (I live in Seattle) and keeps everything dry. Word of advice: if you experience gusty winds, use the clamps provided to attach the cover to casters. Once a gust of wind gets up under the cover, it will come off quickly. Also, I have no idea how to clean the cover, but then again, I'm not concerned about a little dirt and discoloration.

I liked this cover so much I also bought a version of the same thing for my 18.5" WSM.

Ron - Did you ever use another cover on your WSM? I use the one that was included in the purchase by Weber, but I notice that in the hot humid summers here in the midwest I sometimes get moldy funk growing on the inside of the smoker. I think the cover may not let enough air flow around it. I don't use the smoker all the time, so I keep it covered; I use the kettle more frequently, so I don't cover that and have never had an issue with moldy funk on the kettle. This summer, no cover on the WSM unless the cover you reference could do it with no problem.

PeteH: I have posted my opinions about the Weber grill and smoker covers previously. IMHO, the cover is the ONLY product Weber makes that is sub-standard. It is not water-proof yet it does not "breathe", the seams leak, it easily cracks or tears and weather extremes cause it to wear out prematurely.

I can't address climate-related issues in places like Chicago. In Seattle, while the rest of the country gets hot, humid weather, our summers are almost "perfect" with temps in the mid-70's to low 80's and no humidity. A hot day for us is 85 and we get maybe five of them every summer. The only place to find AC is in cars and shopping malls. Of course, our "summer" only lasts about 6 weeks or so ..... then it's back to cool, grey, damp and rainy. My problems are in the winter where we get weeks and weeks of damp, 45 degree days (high of 45, low of 40). I keep the 330 and the WSM with the covers on and under a canopy. That provides protection from rains as long as the wind does not blow. With the "Veranda" covers, I have had no problems with stuff growing on the inside of either the WSM or the 330.

I'll be the contrarian. I have stopped using covers. I got a Weber cover for my WSM to keep rain from collecting in the base and as Ron says, it's neither waterproof nor breathable. (Now I simply flip the center section over when it's not in use and the rainwater just runs off.) My WSM and ancient Genesis stand up well in the Jersey climate with no protection. A spritz with Fantastic and a quick paper towel cleanup and they look good as new.

I'll be the contrarian. I have stopped using covers. I got a Weber cover for my WSM to keep rain from collecting in the base and as Ron says, it's neither waterproof nor breathable. (Now I simply flip the center section over when it's not in use and the rainwater just runs off.)

Yeah, never could figure out why the lid-to-lip connection on the WSM is so inferior to the connection on the kettle. Or why they never corrected it.

Thanks.

Yeah, never could figure out why the lid-to-lip connection on the WSM is so inferior to the connection on the kettle. Or why they never corrected it.
Low & slow barbecue with a water pan generates a lot of moisture. An overhanging lid like on the kettle would have that liquid running all over the outside of the cooker. The WSM lid design keeps that liquid inside the cooker.

Low & slow barbecue with a water pan generates a lot of moisture. An overhanging lid like on the kettle would have that liquid running all over the outside of the cooker. The WSM lid design keeps that liquid inside the cooker.

Even without a water pan. I used kettle lids on my old UDS smokers and the sides of the drums would always start looking terrible.

OK - really ashamed now that I couldn't figure that out. Especially since I've had some of that 'liquid' get onto the outside of the fuel door. It's pretty nasty stuff. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Chris.

Back