EX4 at Lowe's San Jose, but not on the floor

I was at a nearby Lowe's picking up odds and ends and they had an EX4 & EX6 on the floor plus covers, pellets. I asked a rep. about them and he asked if I could come by tomorrow when the experienced rep. would be working. I asked if they had been updated with the new hopper parts and revised fans and he told me that there was no need for them since this is the way Weber manufactured them. I just shook my head and left.
New fans? Haven’t heard anything about that. Tell me more.

I was at a nearby Lowe's picking up odds and ends and they had an EX4 & EX6 on the floor plus covers, pellets. I asked a rep. about them and he asked if I could come by tomorrow when the experienced rep. would be working. I asked if they had been updated with the new hopper parts and revised fans and he told me that there was no need for them since this is the way Weber manufactured them. I just shook my head and left.
Weber should do a better job informing their dealers of what's going on IMO. Or like I said before they do know (tinfoil hat is on now) and have been instructed not to mention some kind of possible flaw in the smokers.

You've now traveled the country in search of a Smoke Fire :D. What did you think???

Yeah, pretty funny! I thought the SmokeFire EX4 was decently made, definitely a cut above the cheaper Traegers and Pit Boss. (That's not to say those grills don't work fine. Just not as sturdy IMO.)

I was less dissatisfied with the grates than I expected, but if you plan to sear steaks, etc. pony up for some decent stainless rod grates. Qlimetal or Hongso for ~$50 would do just fine. Spend more and you can go all out...

The Weber is a stylish pellet grill. I was pressed for time - with my wife impatiently waiting out in the car - so I failed to look at the hopper. I really hope Weber continues to address the obvious problems. If I was in the market, the SmokeFire would still be on the list. I would just expect less than what was originally advertised - shop vac regularly, use drip trays and figure that searing steaks isn't going to be perfectly even. Still, it would be a very decent contender in this arena. It just doesn't look to be the revolutionary game-changer that Weber was hoping for and advertised it to be.

Yeah, pretty funny! I thought the SmokeFire EX4 was decently made, definitely a cut above the cheaper Traegers and Pit Boss. (That's not to say those grills don't work fine. Just not as sturdy IMO.)

I was less dissatisfied with the grates than I expected, but if you plan to sear steaks, etc. pony up for some decent stainless rod grates. Qlimetal or Hongso for ~$50 would do just fine. Spend more and you can go all out...

The Weber is a stylish pellet grill. I was pressed for time - with my wife impatiently waiting out in the car - so I failed to look at the hopper. I really hope Weber continues to address the obvious problems. If I was in the market, the SmokeFire would still be on the list. I would just expect less than what was originally advertised - shop vac regularly, use drip trays and figure that searing steaks isn't going to be perfectly even. Still, it would be a very decent contender in this arena. It just doesn't look to be the revolutionary game-changer that Weber was hoping for and advertised it to be.
Well said Jon!

Now my poor Lowe’s says not until March 30! I hope the ones they finally get at least have the improved hopper and auger...

Now my poor Lowe’s says not until March 30! I hope the ones they finally get at least have the improved hopper and auger...
The authorized dealer that didn't know (or acted like they didn't know) about the updates for the Smoke Fire a couple weeks ago still have the original hopper in the displays as of Sunday. With everything else going on I decided to get what I was there for and not talk to the grill person in the store. But I do wonder what they would have said if I questioned them about it.

The authorized dealer that didn't know (or acted like they didn't know) about the updates for the Smoke Fire a couple weeks ago still have the original hopper in the displays as of Sunday. With everything else going on I decided to get what I was there for and not talk to the grill person in the store. But I do wonder what they would have said if I questioned them about it.
My experience is they don’t know much and are not all that interested in the SmokeFire.

Back