Ethics of smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
When you are selecting the meat. If the butcher mistakenly puts the price per pound significantly less that the listed price do you correct him or tell him you changed your mind; that you want twice as much?

What is the standard price for baby back ribs? The list price is about $4.50 around here.

I have not been properly trained in ethics...it wasn't offered in college when I attended. So, no help on the first question.

BB prices range between $2.88/lb. to $5.99/lb. That low price is at Sam's and every other store carries them at the higher price, plus the high priced stuff is usually injected.

Dave,

This is one of the more thought-provoking BBQ questions I've read in a long time!

I would think that the best answer is to bring the error to the attention of the butcher so it can be corrected. You get the product you want at the posted price, and the butcher learns from his or her mistake and doesn't suffer an economic loss. Next time you visit, the butcher may remember you as "the honest guy" and provide you with better service or some other perk.

Declining to buy the product would also be acceptable, but wouldn't help the butcher learn from his or her mistake.

In the end, perhaps "don't do to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you" is the best approach.

Regarding BBs, here in N. California they're $3.49/lb for 3 slabs in Cryovac at Costco and $3.10/lb in individually wrapped Cryovac at Smart & Final. Grocery store prices are closer to $4.99/lb unless there's a sale.

Regards,
Chris

Well, let's see now. If you noticed he over-priced it, would you point that out?

It all boils down to integrity. Are you an honest person?

Sadly, I have been faced with this very situation and I'm sorry to say I failed to live up to the same ethical standards I profess to endorse.

It was at Wal-Mart, and the baby-backs were marked "beef-back" ribs @ $1.29 / #.

May God forgive me.

I would probably say something (or at least would like to think that). Seems like a lot of the time when something is mismarked like that, they will give you the low price anyways.

Well if it was my "former" butcher who gave me grief about the Presidential candidate bumper sticker on my Jeep before the last big election I would keep my mouth shut /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Now I shop at Cash & Carry, Costco and Sams Club and getter better meat at better prices with better availability /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I am fairly sure that I get the best quality from the butcher. I am fairly sure that Sams or Wal-Mart has better prices most of the time.

The service at the butcher shop is much better.

If I wanted the absolute best quality I would hit up the butcher shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back