ET-73

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor Blohm

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone,

I just got a ET-73, and it seems to be working great. I put it in my refrigerator to measure the temperature, and it kept receiving for the several hours I had it in there. (The front of the fridge is stainless steel, which I would imagine is harder to transmit through than glass.)

I will let you know if it goes bad-I have it in my WSM right now, monitoring some ribs.

Trevor

I have loved mine. It is the single best accessory I've purchased. Enjoy.

Trevor,I think you will really like your ET-73, mine has been great so far. It sure takes the guess work out of what's happening inside your WSM. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

By far the best accessory I've bought
to go with "the bullet". I use it
constantly and have never had a problem.
It make smoking even easier...

I have an ET-73 also and love it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I did notice something strange this weekend while smoking spare ribs. The temp was in the high 20's with snow flurries and the wind was blowing. I decided to put on the smoker jacket I made from a water heater jacket. Every thing was going well then I looked at the receiver of the ET-73 and if had dashes and no numbers. I went out to check the xmitter and it was very warm to the touch. I use a magnet and attach it to the top cover. I removed it from the top cover set it on the out side of the jacket and all was well again. I speculating here but I think the xmitter electronics got hot causing it to drift off it's frequency hence, the receiver lost the signal. After it cooled down I had no more problems. Might be a coincidence, but I don't think so.

From what I've read,the maverick for example does not like to be placed under the cover. Last time, I used the silver bullet cover with no thermometer, and my Mr. Brown turnd out FANTASTIC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richard Wong:
[qb] Where is the best place to buy the Maverick ET-73? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html

They have a great price too, Richard. I really like mine as well. Have used it in my offset for almost a year now with no problems.

Mark

I noted that Amazon offers the ET-72. What is the difference? I would like to support the website by buying at Amazon, but apparently they dont offer the ET-73.

I've put my ET-73 through allot and it just keeps on working.

Some things to note:

I get the dashes on the receiver if I'm out of signal range. Getting closer to the receiver has always solved that.

The transmitter doesn't send a continuous stream of data. It only transmits when there is a temperature change to report. There is a small icon on the receiver that flashes when it receives data from the transmitter. So if your smoker is holding a constant temp, there could be long gaps where the icon doesn't flash. That's ok.

If you receiver batteries are low, the display won't show anything. But you'll be able to press the buttons and get beeps out of the unit.

Leaving the transmitter and receiver on for months at a time is ok, and you generally won't have to re-syncronize them if they are left on Mine were on for over 6 months. I'd just toss them in a drawer in the kitchen between uses, then pull them out. Its too easy to loose the pieces on the transmitter by constantly opening the back to turn it off and on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim P:
[qb] I noted that Amazon offers the ET-72. What is the difference? I would like to support the website by buying at Amazon, but apparently they dont offer the ET-73. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, I believe that the ET-72 is not a dual probe device; doesn't do meat and cooker temp separately.

OT, thanks for asking the question. I just went from newbie to TVWB Member! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Do you hang the temperature probe (not the meat probe) through the cover vent hole so that it hangs at about the water pan level, or suspend it at the upper grate level?

would it mess it up too bad to just lay it on the bottom grate? or would you pick up false readings because of the temp of the grate?

Wade-

I haven't used mine yet (tomorrow will be the first time - ACC Basketball Tournament Baby!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif ) - cooking a brisket and a butt - should be yummy!

Anyway, mine came with a bracket that holds the smoker temp probe and looks like it clips between the rungs (for lack of a better term) of the grate - top or bottom depends on where you are cooking - with the top being the hottest, I may opt for the top grate. But it looks like this clip will actually hole the probe suspended horizontally above the grate.

I have also seen where one person (can't remember who off the top of my head, but they have a website with photos of this) drilled a hole through a piece of wood and stuck the probe through this wood and leave it on the top grate. It also holds the proble horizontally above the grate.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to using mine finally tomorrow!

Rick

Rick-
I hear you on the ACC tourney! that rocks. I have (had) the same plan for Saturday. Thanks for the reply.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I have also seen where one person (can't remember who off the top of my head, but they have a website with photos of this) drilled a hole through a piece of wood and stuck the probe through this wood and leave it on the top grate. It also holds the proble horizontally above the grate.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a pic of this method on my site ~ Click here to see it. HTH

I'm from SEC land but I'm sooo ready for the ACC tournament. My son is finishing a GI fellowship at Duke, but he could care less about basketball - what's wrong with that boy ?

The ET - 73 is designed with a clip for the smoker probe. It can be clipped between the grids on the cooking grate. I really haven't been too happy with mine and just use a therm through the top vent. It's Stogie that uses a Ploder clone stuck through a block of wood. He sits it on the top grate. I realize that really is where temp should be measured, but it just bugs me to have wires sticking out of my WSM. However, toward the end of a butt cook, I'll use a Polder internal temp probe to take it up to the final temp.

Paul

I use the clip that came with the ET-73 and run the cables under the lid. I've probably opened & closed the lid on the cable probes hundreds of times now and have never had a problem with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back