ET-73

Todd Finchler

TVWBB Member
I just got a new ET-73. While it comes with instructions, I find that the best advice comes from users, not the manufacturers (e.g., Minion Method versus the Weber method).

Does anyone have any advice as to how to use (or not abuse) the ET-73 with the WSM?

Thanks.

Todd

I'm new to smokin' too. Here is a condensed version of the ET-73 user's manual that I drafted for myself...

Sync Remote Thermometer
1. Turn on Receiver, then Transmitter

Setting LOW Smoker Temperature
1. Press LO/MIN to display the minimum smoker temperature
2. Press and hold LO/MIN so minimum smoker temperature flashes
3. Press LO/MIN to desired temperature
4. Press LIGHT/MODE to confirm setting

Setting HIGH Smoker Temperature
1. Press HI/HR to display the maximum smoker temperature
2. Press and hold HI/HR so maximum smoker temperature flashes
3. Press HI/HR to desired temperature

Setting HIGH Food Temperature
1. Press HI to display the maximum food temperature
2. Press and hold HI so maximum food temperature flashes
3. Press HI to desired temperature

Turn on the Temperature alerts
1. Press ALERT/START/STOP to activate the temperature alerts. The alarm icon will appear beneath both FOOD and SMOKER icon.

I hope this is what you were requesting
icon_smile.gif

Being 66 years old, anything beyond fitting tab A into slot B is usually beyond me. What ever happened to the old on/off button. Anyway, if I can use an ET73 anyone can. Try to keep the point where the wire meets the metal dry. For that matter, try to keep the whole unit dry. If cooking in the rain, just slip the transmitter into a small plastic baggie. Oh yes, try not to slam the lid on the wire. Good luck with it, mine works great. No receiving issues at all. Use it in good health
Using the MM or the standard method to light the fire really has nothing to do with the use of the 73.(but now I see you weren't asking anything like that) I like to use the MM all the time no matter what I'm cooking, but it depends on how high a temp I'm looking for and how fast I want to get there. Using the MM allows much more flexibility in hitting your target range

Speaking of the ET-73, has anyone purchased the new 6ft wire food probe with high heat resistance?

I was thinking of getting a couple, so I can feed through the top vent holes instead of pinching the wire between the lid and the mid section.

And when people talk about the smoker/food probes going bad, is it because the wires eventually melt and short-out? or does it have to do with the mercury in the probe tips becomming corrupted?

I'm not new to smoking - just new to the ET-73. I can read the instruction book. I just figured that those who have owned it had a few tips beyond the four corners of the manual. And yes, the reference to the MM was just an example of users knowing more than the corporate suits...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank Hill:
I'm new to smokin' too. Here is a condensed version of the ET-73 user's manual that I drafted for myself...

Sync Remote Thermometer
1. Turn on Receiver, then Transmitter

Setting LOW Smoker Temperature
1. Press LO/MIN to display the minimum smoker temperature
2. Press and hold LO/MIN so minimum smoker temperature flashes
3. Press LO/MIN to desired temperature

Setting HIGH Smoker Temperature
1. Press HI/HR to display the maximum smoker temperature
2. Press and hold HI/HR so maximum smoker temperature flashes
3. Press HI/HR to desired temperature

Setting HIGH Food Temperature
1. Press HI to display the maximum food temperature
2. Press and hold HI so maximum food temperature flashes
3. Press HI to desired temperature

Turn on the Temperature alerts
1. Press ALERT/START/STOP to activate the temperature alerts. The alarm icon will appear beneath both FOOD and SMOKER icon.

I hope this is what you were requesting
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice summary. I've just got mine out of the box. I'll be sure to use your summary. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank Hill:
Speaking of the ET-73, has anyone purchased the new 6ft wire food probe with high heat resistance?

I was thinking of getting a couple, so I can feed through the top vent holes instead of pinching the wire between the lid and the mid section.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I got the WSM eyelet kit from BBQ Guru. They replace the existing grate bracket screws so you dont have to drill any holes.
Eyelet Assembly

John, be sure to set the HIGH Smoker temp before setting the LOW Smoker temp...

The ET-73 is a real champ. The only problem I had was last night I smoked 2 butts and had the receiver on my nightstand. It was working great and alarmed me that the temp went below 210 around 4am. I stoked the coals and went back to bed. Around 8am I woke up and peeked at the receiver, and it was zero'd-out "---"...I guess that's what it does if it loses the signal. So I had to re-sync it.

I wish it would alarm (using a faster sequence of beeps or a different beep tone) if the receiver loses the transmitter's signal.

But I won't complain, because of the ET-73 alarm system, it allowed me to get a full nights sleep while dreaming of pulled pork burritos
icon_biggrin.gif

That's a great tip Scott. So the hole is large enough to thread the ET-73 food probe through the eyelet?

so, how or where do I place the wires? Does putting it between the lid and the mid section cause problems?

Hi John,

I place the smoker probe using a wine cork (real cork, not the plastic-based corks as the non-cork will melt) with this config...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/thermmount_photos/davehenry.jpg

Then I'm pinching the food probe wire between the lid and the mid section. But I'm going to get the eyelets that Scott mentioned so I can run the food probe wire through it and not crimp it.

I'm thinking if I continue to pinch the food probe wire, it will lead to my food probe being fouled much faster.

Here are several other ways to mount the smoker probe for measuring at the lid for temp...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/moretherm.html

thank you Hank, appreciate all the tips. Those pictures are really helpful.

I've just ordered eyelets from BBQ Guru. I've read I can thread multiple wires through it. I'm hoping I can get both wires through the eyelet. I'm somewhat finicky and like clean looking setup...

I have the 6' wires; they work great. I run them thru the eyelet, not the vent. Haven't had any problems with them yet. I didn't get them for the high heat, I like the extra length.

Anyone have a link to a source where you can get these replacement probes with 6' extensions? I'm very interested in the extra length.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm very interested in the extra length. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't we all.......

On a serious note though, is one of the probes or inputs on the transmitter specifically for the smoker and one for the meat or are they interchangeable?

Okay Todd, here's a few things that aren't in the manual. I'll try and not be too wordy.

The E7-73 is a great therm and pretty flexible in it's uses. Not perfect by any means, but worth the money.
The biggest complaint is not getting a reading with the receiver. Well, think of it as a weak cell phone, depending on where you place the receiver and your battery strength and how much interference you may have will decide where you can place the receiver to get the best signal. It's somewhere in your house, just maybe not where you want it. I hang mine from the curtain rod just over the sliding glass doors. Works perfect!
If you run more than one ET at a time there's a possibility of them swapping signals. What was once the reading for cooker one could actually be the temps in cooker two. Be aware if you use more than one ET in close proximity to another. It's only happened once out of about 20 times with mine.
The eyelets are okay but not a necessity. Once you know your cooker you'll know what the temp is on each grate level just by taking a lid temp reading. Usually it's about 15* lower from the lid temp to the top grate and another 15* lower to the bottom grate.
I hang my transmitter from the lip of the center section and run the smoker probe thru the lid vent and the meat probe between the lid and middle section. Just don't hang it over the access door! It'll melt your ET real quick! I know this from experience.
If I'm cooking on the bottom grate I just make sure whatever is cooking down there will take longer than whatever is cooking on the top grate. That way, when I'm done measuring temps and cooking on the top grate, I remove that grate and move the meat temp probe down to the next level.
If you have more than one ET or two sets of probes you can measure two meats or two spots in your cooker at the same time if you just place a meat probe in the smoker jack, or vice/versa.

I had more but I forgot. That's probably a good thing!
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Gresham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm very interested in the extra length. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't we all.......

On a serious note though, is one of the probes or inputs on the transmitter specifically for the smoker and one for the meat or are they interchangeable? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL...I thought when I wrote that it sounded a bit funny.
icon_biggrin.gif

The probes on the ET-73 look different but the connectors are the same. I imagine they probably could be interchanged.

I just ordered one of these yesterday will be here on Wednesday
icon_biggrin.gif
has anyone had any trouble with the eye let kit from BBQ Guru, like air flow issues?

Bought my ET-73 last June. I really like it.
No problems. I couldn't get a good nights sleep without it when doing a long smoke.I have Guru eyelets. Always works well. I had a problem losing signals at first.
Replaced the batteries that comes with the unit with some good Alkaline batteries. Had no problem since.
It's become part of the family. Easy to setup and use. (i'm not affiliated with Maverick)
just like it very much!
Jerry in Central AL

You can order probes from Maverick here.

Click on the down arrow under PROBE PART#, click on the one you want and it fills in the price. I hope someone will find out what the various 2-packs consist of. I ordered 4 x 6 foot meat probes - I found that they also work as smoker probes.

Back