ET-73 failed on overnighter

Assume for the moment that you've purchased a bone-in butt, and that all the conditions of processing the meat leading up to your purchase were exactly as they were supposed to be. Further assume that you handle the meat correctly, get it in to cook, and your meat reaches say, 175, before something happens (whatever), and your internal drops to 130. Would there likely be a bacterial issue? No. So long as the surface temp of the meat remained above 140, you're probably fine. [Important note: For the sake of this illustration I am discounting the possibility that you may have pushed external bacteria into the meat with your probe.]

You are correct that the bacteria were killed during the temp rise (trichina, formerly a major concern in pork, now very rare, is killed at 137). Here's where it gets tricky and where the 'danger zone' of 40-140 comes in to play: Same scenario as above, but this time assume that the surface temp of the meat was 135. Let's say the meat was in that condition for one or two hours, or you just can't be sure. This is potentially dangerous. Though bacteria were killed during the first stage of the cook, once the temp gets below 140 for a period of time a whole new door opens for new bacteria to colonize. The more time that elapses, the worse the potential. Though you can stoke your cooker and bring your temps up and kill the bacteria, they are no longer the problem. The toxins that they produced are the problem, and no matter how high a temp you can get out of your cooker, you can not destroy them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank M:
What's the deal? I thought the Maverick was _the_ thermometer to get? Are others having trouble with the ET-73? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank-- sounds like they'll be perfect. On the 73--mine does it, sometimes, at distances greater than 30'. Not all the time, but I no longer keep it next to my bed (about 100') on night cooks.

Just pulled in to Mikeska's Q joint in Columbus, Tex. Never tried it here. Hoping I enjoy it. Hope you enjoy yours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank M:
Shawn,

The transmitter displayed the alternating probe temps, and the receiver displayed "---" for both temps. I'm assuming this is what it displays if it loses communication with the transmitter?

ET-73 owners... since this thing is brand new (this is the first time I've used it), is it defective? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah, I think --- means loss of communication. Not sure how long it takes for the --- to appear, it happened to me once.

I THOUGHT mine was working good but it appears I can only get about 20' range with it. I was pondering returning it but if you are having the problem with a new one I wonder if it would do me any good.

Is yours defective? I'll leave that up to you to decide. Personally, if they advertise a range of up to 100', I think a user ought to get at least 70' or 80' in nearly any application.

Mine works where I need it to for now, but if I change things around I may need to get a new one that has better range.

My first ET-73 had a distance of about two feet. Maverick replaced the receiver, but I still don't get 100 feet. The funny things is the more that I have BBQed the better it has gotten at receiving the signal. Maybe you just have to break it in a little. I still swear by mine.

What's the deal? I thought the Maverick was _the_ thermometer to get? Are others having trouble with the ET-73? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I had tons of trouble with the one I bought just a few weeks ago. I have a trusty Holland grill theremometer that I've been using for a long time but thought I'd try the 2-probe and wireless functionality. The dang thing would disconnect every couple of hours. To sync them up again is a pain in the butt. You have to take the battery casing off the back...(I dropped the dang latch thing twice under my deck) and then you have to turn it off and on to resync. I'd used it twice and then gave it to a friend of mine(yes I explained the problem to him, he wanted it anyways).

-Brian

I'm still confused about these ET-73's.

Is there anyone here who uses one and never has a problem with a dropped signal?

Also, the butts from this cook didn't turn out that great. They pulled apart nicely, but my family and I thought they were a little dry and the outer pieces were actually a little tough and chewy. I think I overcooked them trying to reach the holy grail 195 internal temp.

Frank-
It's possible they lost some moisture while they languished a bit longer due to your 73 problem. Don't be too married to a set internal temp, especially if there's been a problem that might have prolonged the cook. They're done when they're done. I pull at roughly 190, but I check a few spots when my probe hits the upper 180s, different parts of the butt sometimes vary a bit in temp.

Frank,

I still think the ET-73 is the King!
I've been using mine constantly for several years (whenever they first came out) and never had a single problem (I just recently switched out the original set of batteries a few weeeks ago). The only time I've ever lost a signal is when I took the receiver over to the neighbors house and went in the basement (probably close or over 100 ft.).
I frequently do overnighters and never lost a signal from the second level of my house through walls, windows and whatever else - next to my nightstand.

Just thought I'd cover what the potenial of this product has. Obviously I've been very happy with mine.

There is no question that I have an electrically noisey house which will cause the ET-73 to loose signal. I have found spots where the ET-73 works, however, I also purchsed the Nu-Temp. I would prefer the ET-73 where I do not need 3 probes, however, due to the transmitting differences and resync-ing ease I consistently use the Nu-Temp. (the Nu-temp transmitts about once every 30 seconds so you can tell that you are not in communication by looking for 30 seconds) (My experements using them both seem to indicate that they interfere with each other (where the transmitters are located near each other)).

This weekend for the first time I did 5 bone in butts for super bowl. As each butt broke through the platau and hit 170*, I wraped them in foil and put them back on the cooker. I think that these butts were the juciest that I've done to date. I am under the impresstion that after it goes through the platau, most of the fat and connective tissue is broken down so by wrapping in foil it shouldn't sit in its own fat and crap, just good juices.

thought I'd chime in here.

I've had my Mav ET-73 for a few months now. I've never had a problem. It is a design flaw, in my opinion, that you have to turn on the transmitter by taking the batter latch off. However, I've found the thing to function perfectly. I get good range - good reception everywhere in my house. I also have never had a problem with it dropping the signal.

Kevin
Your call on danger zone under those conditions is very accurite. Now had this been a boned butt and you had rolled it back up the answer would be to toss because bacteria was introduced during the boning to the center of the roast and under these conditions it is not safe.
Jim

I've found the ET-73's radio to be flakey at best. The signal has always been unreliable, even on distances through one wall of less than 15 feet. Maverick has replaced several receivers, but they all exhibit the same problems. I'd gladly pay twice the price of an ET-73 for a similar device that was built a bit better than the Maverick.

I'm still confused about these ET-73's.

Is there anyone here who uses one and _never_ has a problem with a dropped signal?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never had a dropped signal. I always have direct line of sight between the two units, if I walk it back in the house a few meters the signal will cut out when I can't see the other unit.

morgan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adamclyde:
It is a design flaw, in my opinion, that you have to turn on the transmitter by taking the batter latch off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The on/off switch is behind the gasketed door on the transmitter specifically to protect against weather/moisture.

I have a Maverick Model ET-7 (with 2 probes) and I have been very impressed with it's performance. My WSM is on the deck on the back of my house and I can go anywhere inside my house (even on the second floor) and never lose the signal. Walls do not seem to affect the performance at all.

I wish. But it's been a little while since I've tried roaming around with it. I'm going to try again. The first time it lost its link when it was next to my bed was it--I started keeping it closer to the WSM. It really would be nice to be able to take a quick look at it at 3am...

I can't take my ET-73 next to the bed anymore either or I lose the signal (which does come back eventually when I get closer to the transmitter). Now I just keep it in the kitchen or computer room which are much closer (30'-40") to the transmitter. I still like it alot.

Back