Enhanced Pork Shoulder Picnic

D Keith

I was at the store the other day and saw they had a prok shoulder sale going on. Not paying attention to anything other than the price, I picked it up and dropped it in the freezer for a future smoke. I glanced at it the other day and realized some important details....

1) It's a full bone-in picnic cut
2) Entire thing has been enhanced with a salt solution

Now I've seen on the main site that there can be issues with enhanced shoulder cuts coming out too "hammy". The only thing mentioned is that you should cut down or eliminate salt from the rub. Are there any other thoughts on how to prep/cook this type of cut to avoid a ham-like result? Would soaking it in a water-only or apple juice solution help the salt content of the shoulder, or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

I think you're worried about nothing because there is nothing you can do about it at this point. As you said, about all you can do now is cook it using a rub with no salt. It should turn out fine but even if it does have a ham like result, you'll still eat well. Live and learn - learn and live. Let us know how it turns out. I'm guessing you won't notice a difference.

Back