Engineering (automotive) and the depths of my....

JKalchik

TVWBB Emerald Member
hatred.

Okay, for the back story, my neighbor asked if I'd be interested in picking up a little pocket cash, by replacing brakes on a Jeep Compass. No, I'm not licensed or insured, but I really do appreciate the thought. Oh, holy <BEEEEEEEEEP>.

2017 Jeep Compass, needs rear brakes, at least. He comes over to ask if I have a flare or line wrench. I've been down with COVID for the last 3 weeks, and in my haze, didn't connect the dots. No, don't break into that hydraulic line if you absolutely have to. At first glance, doesn't look too bad..... but the top caliper pin is stuck. AND YOU CAN'T GET A SOCKET ON IT BECAUSE THE HYDRAULIC LINE FITTING COVERS THE EDGE OF THE BOLT HEAD. Open end wrench is just spreading on it, and there's no way to get a closed wrench on it. I said just get ready to replace the calipers as well, because if those glide pins are stuck into calipers that hard, I suspect there's other things going on. And in all honesty, just planning on replacing rotors, pads and calipers as as set these days isn't really out of the question.

But that bloomin' interference between the hydraulic fitting and the glide pin is utterly infuriating.

Neighbor went digging through YouTube videos last night and found the big brain trick: remove the LOWER guide pin which is easy access (okay, if you have the I'm not kidding half inch breaker bar.) There's just enough slack in the brake hydraulic hose and room enough to remove the caliper from the mounting bracket. Easy access now to the rotor (which also took a long pry bar to pop loose) and both pads. 5 lug nuts and 1 pin.

Now, it also makes life easier if you have the right parts. Even with the VIN, he had the wrong rotors & pads, which are available locally. 2 hours, start to finish, with the run to get the right parts.

I am definitely going to have to remember that little method.

hatred.

Okay, for the back story, my neighbor asked if I'd be interested in picking up a little pocket cash, by replacing brakes on a Jeep Compass. No, I'm not licensed or insured, but I really do appreciate the thought. Oh, holy <BEEEEEEEEEP>.

2017 Jeep Compass, needs rear brakes, at least. He comes over to ask if I have a flare or line wrench. I've been down with COVID for the last 3 weeks, and in my haze, didn't connect the dots. No, don't break into that hydraulic line if you absolutely have to. At first glance, doesn't look too bad..... but the top caliper pin is stuck. AND YOU CAN'T GET A SOCKET ON IT BECAUSE THE HYDRAULIC LINE FITTING COVERS THE EDGE OF THE BOLT HEAD. Open end wrench is just spreading on it, and there's no way to get a closed wrench on it. I said just get ready to replace the calipers as well, because if those glide pins are stuck into calipers that hard, I suspect there's other things going on. And in all honesty, just planning on replacing rotors, pads and calipers as as set these days isn't really out of the question.

But that bloomin' interference between the hydraulic fitting and the glide pin is utterly infuriating.
Having worked on cars for 40+ years, in every capacity from line mechanic to top diagnostic tech, I've come to the conclusion that engineers are among the most sadistic people that ever lived. To be fair, in the earlier years, when I wasn't self-employed, I had already started to fill that category with efficiency experts. I'd end this with a smiley face, but I'm not joking.

Having worked on cars for 40+ years, in every capacity from line mechanic to top diagnostic tech, I've come to the conclusion that engineers are among the most sadistic people that ever lived. To be fair, in the earlier years, when I wasn't self-employed, I had already started to fill that category with efficiency experts. I'd end this with a smiley face, but I'm not joking.
Yeah, you should see what I have to do to change a headlight bulb in my wife's Traverse. Oops, you probably already know,😁

Yeah, you should see what I have to do to change a headlight bulb in my wife's Traverse. Oops, you probably already know,😁
G/f has an '15 Subie Outback. It's horribly difficult to change the bulbs. I have to open the hood, and all of the headlight bulbs are there and available. Buddy's little sister's '22.... it's more of a federal case apparently.

On her old '99 Civic, while it's in theory possible to change the headlight bulbs directly, it's actually easier to take the front fascia off and pop the assemblies out. On my '12 Ram.... the headlight assemblies just flat out have to come out, and that takes an 18" extension.

My dad was a GM man.

I remember during the 70’s the daily crap shoot when he went out to start his vehicle. Most days it got him to work, but there were a lot of trips to the mechanic mixed in. It was a depressing time as I remember.

The gasoline shortage in our area at the end of the decade was the jolt that pushed many to consider the small efficient Japanese imports, and when those people got a taste of how reliable they were, it was game over for the planned obsolescence big three.

The vehicles today are truly marvelous in reliability, comfort and safety across the board- for the most part.

Glad I have one of the last naturally aspirated Tacoma trucks- I am pretty sure it’s my last vehicle.

Maintenance isn’t too bad.

Those four banger turbos- not too sure about that.

My dad was a GM man.

I remember during the 70’s the daily crap shoot when he went out to start his vehicle. Most days it got him to work, but there were a lot of trips to the mechanic mixed in. It was a depressing time as I remember.

The gasoline shortage in our area at the end of the decade was the jolt that pushed many to consider the small efficient Japanese imports, and when those people got a taste of how reliable they were, it was game over for the planned obsolescence big three.

The vehicles today are truly marvelous in reliability, comfort and safety across the board- for the most part.

Glad I have one of the last naturally aspirated Tacoma trucks- I am pretty sure it’s my last vehicle.

Maintenance isn’t too bad.

Those four banger turbos- not too sure about that.
Turbos are okay, better gas mileage with more power. Thanks to better oil now days, reliability doesn’t seem to be an issue.

And then, there really are counterpoints....

'99 Civic, I've replaced the fuel pump and the pump relay a couple of years ago. The fuel was oh so difficult. 1 sort of hidden bolt to remove the rear seat base, half a dozen fasteners to remove a cover plate, then another half a dozen screws to remove the fuel pump itself. Didn't have to elevate the car, drain the fuel tank, even did it with a full tank. It took longer to fish the seat base back in and get the seat belts arranged than it did to do everything else. The pump relay was a couple of fasteners to remove a trim panel on the outside of the passenger dash, 1 bolt that secured the relay and fish it out through the glove box. Oh, and I did replace the distributor last spring due to a broken screw in the cap. 1 multiway electrical connector, 4 plug wires, and 3 bolts (gear wrenches are my little friends.) Almost took longer to get the tools out than to do the job.

I found living through the 73 gas crisis was worse than the 79. IDK why. I was living in a different area/county then (DuPage instead of Crook/Chicago). But, in the 73 shortage, there were a couple days I truly could not make it to work. Of course then, I was driving a big 69 Coupe De Ville (472 requiring premium) and in my short distance commuter driving was lucky to see 8 MPG. So when you pulled up to the pump and you were rationed to 5 gallons and the engine was already on fumes. 5 gal did not even show up on the gauge! So, if I was lucky it got me back home, where I could wait until my next "ration day" and get another 5 gal. They were tough times.
Of course when I bought the Caddy, there was no way I could envision what happened. And back then it was the first time I was exposed to a Toyota Corolla. A friend where I worked offered to pick me up on his way in. And he had this rudimentary little car. No carpeting, plain simple door cards (not even an armrest). He opened the hood and this VERY tiny engine was under there ticking away happily. Looked like I could literally take it out by hand with a couple open end wrenches. Yet that 5 gal allotment took us back and forth for days.
What a ride :D you could hear every gear tooth in the trans and rear axle, every pebble in the road echoed inside, the little engine screaming away with everything else whining in the gear train meant the only time you could hear the radio or conversation between us was at a stop light.
But, it carried us along for days on those 5 gal of gas. LOL So when the next crisis hit, I bought a little Chevette. IIRC a 1.8 or 1.9 liter engine. Basically a rebadged Opel Kadette. Right down to the weirdly angled steering wheel :D I had the "high performance" version BTW. I'd run down to ISU to pick up my brother from College. We got behind a semi that was going balls to the wall. Had my right foot planted for miles and miles, and that semi was getting away from me. All that little beast could muster was about 85. My brother is coaching telling me we need to have the truck running "interference" for state cops. But, I could not stay with it. Not even close LOL

G/f has an '15 Subie Outback. It's horribly difficult to change the bulbs. I have to open the hood, and all of the headlight bulbs are there and available. Buddy's little sister's '22.... it's more of a federal case apparently.

On her old '99 Civic, while it's in theory possible to change the headlight bulbs directly, it's actually easier to take the front fascia off and pop the assemblies out. On my '12 Ram.... the headlight assemblies just flat out have to come out, and that takes an 18" extension.
Can most certainly relate ! One driving headlight was out on our '11 Subie Outback. Have changed them in years past. It's a real pain. Now, being our 70s and must less dexterous, our local Subi dealer was given that task...

On my old 03 Trailblazer under changing headlights in the manual it said to consult dealer.
There was a few things that needed to be removed in the engine compartment.
Found a utube hack that made it somewhat doable with minimum blood and cursing.

I solved all of the engineering problems in 2012. I just started taking the then new Matrix AWD to the shop for everything. Only thing I've ever done to it was air up the tires, replace the cabin air filter (less than 5 minutes) and replace the driver's side view mirror after getting too close to a traffic cone (20 minutes sitting in the air-conditioned comfort of the driver's seat). That one was due to a direct order from the Sgt. Major (Miriam), after she looked up and ordered the part.

I found living through the 73 gas crisis was worse than the 79. IDK why. I was living in a different area/county then (DuPage instead of Crook/Chicago). But, in the 73 shortage, there were a couple days I truly could not make it to work. Of course then, I was driving a big 69 Coupe De Ville (472 requiring premium) and in my short distance commuter driving was lucky to see 8 MPG. So when you pulled up to the pump and you were rationed to 5 gallons and the engine was already on fumes. 5 gal did not even show up on the gauge! So, if I was lucky it got me back home, where I could wait until my next "ration day" and get another 5 gal. They were tough times.
Of course when I bought the Caddy, there was no way I could envision what happened. And back then it was the first time I was exposed to a Toyota Corolla. A friend where I worked offered to pick me up on his way in. And he had this rudimentary little car. No carpeting, plain simple door cards (not even an armrest). He opened the hood and this VERY tiny engine was under there ticking away happily. Looked like I could literally take it out by hand with a couple open end wrenches. Yet that 5 gal allotment took us back and forth for days.
What a ride :D you could hear every gear tooth in the trans and rear axle, every pebble in the road echoed inside, the little engine screaming away with everything else whining in the gear train meant the only time you could hear the radio or conversation between us was at a stop light.
But, it carried us along for days on those 5 gal of gas. LOL So when the next crisis hit, I bought a little Chevette. IIRC a 1.8 or 1.9 liter engine. Basically a rebadged Opel Kadette. Right down to the weirdly angled steering wheel :D I had the "high performance" version BTW. I'd run down to ISU to pick up my brother from College. We got behind a semi that was going balls to the wall. Had my right foot planted for miles and miles, and that semi was getting away from me. All that little beast could muster was about 85. My brother is coaching telling me we need to have the truck running "interference" for state cops. But, I could not stay with it. Not even close LOL
I was in Albuquerque in '79 and never even heard there was a fuel crisis.
Was in SoCal in '73. We bought gas by the drum on the black market and didn't have any problems with either price or availability. Kept a half dozen drum at the shop.

Back