End of an Era....Well Sort of

Mike Gray

TVWBB Super Fan
Been reading posts everyday and admiring all the great work and great ideas that everyone has posted. I have posted a few threads with pics of some cooks I have done over the past couple of years, but tomorrow will mark the end of my smoking run. Temporarily anyway. :D We are preparing to move to a new house, but it won't be ready until October. Our current house was on the market for all of 3 days before it sold (much faster than we expected), so we are moving to an apartment for the next 6 or so months and of course the place doesn't allow grilling or smoking of any kind. This means that next weekend I will pack up my OTG and my 22.5 and put them in storage. I might even shed a tear as I watch the truck roll out, but that's a week from now.

This weekend I plan to pack the 22.5 with a bunch of meat for family and a few neighbors as well. I picked up 4 boneless butts from CostCo, 3 racks of baby backs and made some homemade meatballs with bacon of course. I think I read somewhere that moinks are only moinks if they are made with all beef. Well, these are a mix of beef, pork and veal, so they will be my own little spin. The butts are rubbed with renowned Mr. Brown, my favorite recipe from this site, and the meatballs are seasoned with BBQ 3000. Tomorrow or Sunday, depending on the weather, the ribs will get rubbed down with BRITU.

My plan was to start tonight, but once the butts were rubbed and ready the skies opened up with a downpour. I guess in my excitement I forgot to look at the weather.....:mad: Anyway, the weather the next two days looks perfect, so after my daughters soccer practice tomorrow morning I plan to get this "End of an Era" party started. Until then, it's just me and a Yuengling.

Here is a little preview of the participants!

Once this cook is complete, I will have the next 6 months to design my very own pigvilion for the new house.

I dont know how I could handle that, when I was unemployed I almost lost my house and would've had to get an apartment, that was my biggest fear.......my grills! At least its only temporary.

Good luck with the party this weekend, Mike. And good luck with the move. I'm sure you'll be back with a vengeance!!

Mike

Congrats on selling your house so fast, I think ;) You might as well get as much smoking and grilling as you can!

Well , that 6 months will go by fast and you can look forward to lots of outdoor cooking at your new place. Good luck brother. Hope it all goes good for you and the family. :wsm:

Looks like it will be a fantastic feast. I'm sure you're busy with moving and all so I would cancel on everyone and just cook everything for the freezer. That way you can enjoy your BBQ while in the apartment! Just kidding of course, BBQ is best shared with good friends

Congratulations for being able to sell you house. But it sounds like you had it priced Far too low for what the market could bare. Not meaning to be a kill joy, but just saying. But on the flip side, 6 months goes buy pretty quick. Best of luck to you. Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations for being able to sell you house. But it sounds like you had it priced Far too low for what the market could bare. Not meaning to be a kill joy, but just saying. But on the flip side, 6 months goes buy pretty quick. Best of luck to you. Thanks for sharing.

No kill joy at all. The house actually appraised for exactly what we received which was more than asking, it just sold fast because we were the first to the market this spring for our area. This cookout is a celebration of 8 fun years in this house and the start of a new era in the next house in a few months.

The butts are on the smoker but it's a little windy today and had to break out the make shift wind break.

Several more hours to go, but off to a good start.

Not the best of pictures, but probably the best I have made. Usually take them off about 190 - 195, but this time I let all four get to 200 or a little over. I was worried I took them too far, but after a couple hour rest it came out perfectly. Tomorrow will be ribs and moinks. :wsm: Wish I could have done it all in one day, but these were on for quite a while.

Thanks for looking!

Back