Electric Smokers??

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
I know I tread on dangerous ground here asking about these, but I was looking around the web today and saw a cookshack electric smoker. Sounds pretty interesting to use a heating element rather than charcoal or gas etc.

Has anyone used an electric smoker and if so what is the quality of the BBQ they put out?

I don't plan on kicking my WSM to the curb anytime soon, but I am curious how these work.

I used to have a $29 electic Brinkmann and it was a happy day when that thing finally took a dirt nap. At that price point, there was no way to control the temperature. In the summer, it could easily sail away around 250 with no problem. On cold and windy days, hitting 175 was a real struggle.

I currently have a Cookshack SM50 in the fleet. It's insulated so the smoker is pretty much impervious to the cold and wind.

Even though it has a thermostat, the cooking chamber goes through some pretty wide temperature swings as the element cycles on and off. I've seen swings as wide as 35 degrees either side of the target.

It's just the nature of that beast and I'm used to it now but this behavior would certainly drive the uber anal retentive types who fret about a three degree variance in a WSM over an hour absolutely nuts.

Both of the electrics I've had have turned out decent food that I don't believe could be distinguished from that cooked over coals or other heat source. The food frankly doesn't care what's generating the heat and smoke.

I got ithe Cookshack because the hardware bug bit me and this was part of my quest to own at least one of everything at some point before I'm done. Although there's nothing wrong with it, I don't use the Cookshack very often.

I guess the thought of plugging in my Q is just too foreign of a concept for me to embrace. Playing with fire is part of the appeal of barbecue to me.

Ken

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at the AmeriQue from Cookshack myself.

Sounds like a lot of convenience.

To make good barbecue it doesn't matter what kind of energy you use to provide the heat - but wood is the source of the flavor.

However, to make KCBS contest BBQ, the heat must come from wood or a close byproduct (wood pellets, charcoal brix or lump)

I had a Masterbuilt electric. It cooked great except for one flaw. I couldn't get it to smoke the meat. For what ever reason the heating elements wouldn't generate smoke from my chips. No smoke flavor and no smoke ring.

I've chatted with several owners of the Cookshack smoker line and they have all bitched about the temp swings as mentioned but none ever mentioned a +/- 35* or 70* swing. My biggest gripe was the internal dimensions ~ 14" x 14". I have a Sausagemaker 20 lb smoker and it's not much larger at 16" x 17" but I don't use it for bbq. Sausage, smoked cheese (using an external smoke generator), making chipolteles, dehydrating peppers and the like, it works great. The most temp swing I've seen with it is like 15* and that's when it's settling in, then more like 10*.

I would look around before settling on any particular make/model.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

Bill,

I was going to make the same observation about the size of the grates on the SM008/009 & SM50/55 models but chose not to mention it since Jason didn't refer to any particular model originally. I also didn't want my post to be construed as a Cookshack bashing session.

I use mine for salmon, cheese, garlic, mushrooms, jerky and other foods that I prefer to smoke at lower temperatures and it works great in that role.

It's also less likely to go "BOOM" at lower temps but that's another story.

Cookshack makes a fine product, they're built in Oklahoma and they provide excellent support. If my 55 had been my first smoker, I may have considered it the gold standard, been utterly happy with it and never considered any other alternatives.

Like the WSM, an electric smoker isn't a religion. It's simply a tool for getting a job done. Each also has its own inherent set of plusses and minuses that either serve as deal breakers when considering a purchase or distinctive "features" that we choose to live with.

Jason, the Amerique is a good choice with more usable space and improved electronics and I'm sure you'll be happy with it, if you choose to go that route.

Ken

I've never tried or even owned an electric smoker; but I would hate to think what that would do to my electric bill on an over night low and slow smoke. Good luck.

I picked up a used Cookshack Smokette 008 a few weeks ago and have used it 5 times so far with good to great results, but also experienced the temp swings mentioned above. I thought it had to do do with the extension cord or possibly something with the cooker itself. Check out this post:
http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4091028883/m/4521038554

I also experienced my first BOOM with it, but it was not as bad as the Flashback from my Big Green Egg!!

So after being reassured to let the Cookshack do its thing, I'm getting the hang of it and kind of like it. But its just another tool in the chest, I need to get to know it. I have used Little Chief Electric Smokers for years and had a propane smoker and it produced good Q too.
Check out the Cookshack forum and ask around about the Amerique, they are nice and solid.

Here is my Hi-Mountain Jerky and Prime Rib Oven (Smokette 008) and it matches my Red Webers!
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_2128.jpg

A Cookshack bashing session was certainly not my intent and if anyone took it as such, you have my sincerest appologies.

Ed, most of the smaller units (mine included) use a 1,000 watt electric burner in the bottom that works pretty much like the small coil type burner on electric stove tops. It's not on all the time ~ just turns on and off to regulate a certain temperature. I don't think you'd see much of an increase if you use it a couple times a month.

Bill

Bill, you are one of my favorite posters. Glad to see you here.

As for the Cookshacks, I wouldnt mind getting an FE100 at all.

Hey all,

I'm debating as to which smoker to purchase for <$300. Currently I'm torn between the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker and the electric Masterbuilt 30" electric smokehouse. Both are in the same price range. Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

Paul, just my own personal opinion. If you want Q like you buy in a restaurant get the electric smoker. If you want Q that is far beyond that in taste and quality SPEND THE MONEY and get the WSM. I checked out a lot of smokers before I bought mine. I never regretted it one bit. I'm even making Q good enough that people actually want to buy it because they have never had anything like that. I want you to know I'm not even in the same cooking category as Kevin, Doug, Bill, Bryan and the rest and I can still turn out pretty good stuff.

Paul: my opinion
I'd buy the WSM. It may become an obsesion
No wires, no elements, well-built.
Smell the smoke in the air, holds temps very well.

I have a Smokin' Tex which is pretty good. I've done brisket in it, which turned out good. It works really well for the overnight smokes. I didnt pay close enough attention for the temperature to comment on that. I did find that the foods has a tendency to taste a little bit oversmoked. I just got a WSM and I think that it did a better job. A little more work, but definitely better results.

I have an cookshack 008, and a WSM. Love them both, highly recommend both. I will cook my overnight cooks in the electric and my higher temp cooks in the WSM. Got the cookshack first, so a little more experence with it. But the ribs and turkey that come out of the WSM can not be beat. When I have the time I enjoy the cooking more with the WSM I feel like I did something, with the cookshack close the door and plug it in. When you learn each smoker both will cook some great Q. Just as a side note a cookshack smoker will have a 50 deg temp variation. The oldtimers with the cookshack just tell you to not worry the Q will be good, and it is.

Back