Electric Brinkman

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello all,
I moved into a 2nd floor apartment last year and gave my WSM 18” to my buddy because they don’t allow grills and such on their balconies. I started missing it the 1st night.
I recently found out the fire department allows electric grills (only) on the balcony. Good news!!
I ran out and bought one of those Brinkman red vertical smokers “for about $65, I read good reviews about them”.
I did some baby backs on the top rack. They were done OK, looked good on the outside, but absolutely no smoke ring, and they were bland. What a disappointment.
My 1st smoker was an EBC 8 years ago, and I did some mods to make it better and then tossed after a couple of months it when I bought a WSM. Life was great!!
What to do?? The lid doesn’t have any vents. I don’t think the smoke is getting through the top grill.
I don’t have many options here.
Can I make this one work better?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soaked wood chips. Also a couple like 3-4 briqs of charcoal will help give some smoke ring. Every 6 months or so run the hose over the lava rocks to clean the ash.

Water for 225 no water for 350. I like the little red electric brinkmanns and would use one for sure in your situation. But I'm not giving up my wsm.

I know someone who is an electric smoker guy. I know he's owned a Bradley and a Masterbilt. He used wood chips as I recall, but not sure. I do know he had a little trouble getting a good smoke ring, but he was a good cook. Just a set it and leave type of guy.

Be sure you get the right size extension cord if you plan to use one. I've read where the cookers can overheat a wrong cord pretty easily.

Smoke ring doesn't mean much - smoke flavor is what you want. Put a cheap metal pizza pan on the heating element and put a handfull of soaked hickory chips on the pan. That should give you some smoke flavor. The heating element is insulated so there is no danger.

I think I might drill a 1 inch hole in the lid to let the smoke out.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back