Election Day Brisket

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
Barbecue on election day is starting to become a little tradition for me. I get the day off every year and nobody else does (home alone
icon_frown.gif
), I've recovered from a summer's worth of bbq hangover, and the weather is still nice enough not to worry about.

This year I decided to cook 2 split racks of spares with 4 different rubs and a brisket. The deal is that I'm transitioning away from making my own comp rubs and trying out pre-made stuff.

IMG_5441.JPG

I trimmed up a 14 lb CAB brisket (RD was out of choice). I like to take off a bit to fit in the 18" wsm, and save the tips for grinding. And for comps, the slices end up looking better in the 9x9.

IMG_5443.JPG

It was injected with a product to remain nameless and rubbed with another product to remain nameless.

IMG_5452.JPG

here she is a couple hours in...

IMG_5453.JPG

prior to dinner, one of my teammates prepared a really cool cocktail. I have to get more info but for now all I can remember is that one of the ingredients was bacon bourbon (that he made), and it was freaking good.

IMG_5455.JPG

as for the brisket, this blurry pic doesn't do it justice. It came out really, really good. We got a call using similar stuff, and I think (for comps) I just got to turn in beef this way.

IMG_5457.JPG

as for the ribs? meh...

the three commercial rubs certainly had a better look and mouth feel, but couldn't even come close to the flavor and complexity of my home made stuff. The three commercial rubs were nearly indistinguishable, and pretty one dimensional. My rub stood out in the flavor dept but left a thick coating of spice that wasn't nearly as clean as the others.

Great looking brisket?

I'm more interested in (sorry) what you do with the trimmings? I occasionally have these and put them in the ziploc with the best intentions for future use. They end up freezer burnt and discarded. Do you vac pack?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm more interested in (sorry) what you do with the trimmings? I occasionally have these and put them in the ziploc with the best intentions for future use. They end up freezer burnt and discarded. Do you vac pack? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, I got a foodsaver for xmas last year and it has totally changed the way I do things. I go through rolls and rolls of bags but I never waste anything.

This is the second time I did this trimming, so I have two bags with about 1 kg of brisket that I plan to make into burgers.

I even vac pack bones from fresh butts that were cut up for sausage. I have quite a few of these, that I plan to roast and make pork stock out of. Like you, these things used to fossilize in my freezer before I ever got up the motivation to deal with them.

AweSome Brisket Jeff!! w0w!

now, that cocktail with bacon bourbon... sounds to DaggumGood... homemade??!!
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was also going to try some commercial stuff. Now maybe not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recommend trying it once. I noticed it results in a different color, textured bark, and you can't deny the power of flavor enhancers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have been struggling with brisket.
What is the secret to getting it tender? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

simple answer: cook it until its tender. If you figure out an easy way to do that, let me know
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">now, that cocktail with bacon bourbon... sounds to DaggumGood... homemade??!! Eeker

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should have known you would have spotted that like a moth to a porch light
icon_biggrin.gif

I got him to send me the recipe. it looks pretty simple...other than making your own smoked maple syrup and bacon bourbon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 2 oz. Bacon Bourbon
.5 oz Lemon Juice
.5 oz Hickory-Smoked Maple Syrup
1/3 of an egg white

Dry shake to emulsify egg white, then shake with ice until very cold.
Manchego tuile and rosemary sprig garnish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I should have known you would have spotted that like a moth to a porch light
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>yeahYEAHyeah, that's the 25 yrs of bartending that scope out that libation
icon_wink.gif

guess i won't be sampling that glass anytime soon...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">guess i won't be sampling that glass anytime soon... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

c'mon Lampe! its all right here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> What wood type did you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

a little oak, hickory and apple.

usually I do oak and cherry but since I was experimenting, I figured I'd change up the wood too.

I seem to have come late to this party. Beautiful brisky Jeff. Don't worry about the blurry pic. We all get excited by a great brisket. Thanks for the pictorial.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't worry about the blurry pic. We all get excited by a great brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it was either the bacon cocktail or the lack of a tripod.

Believe me, I'm not happy, and am devising a plan for taking better pictures in my kitchen work space.

Back