Educate me on wheel restoration please

Thanks Dan......but sorry to tell you it is not a good choice for our grill resto's.....I just used poplar wood from my local Lowes......I also like the light color and had planned to stain it to a somewhat golden color. I am told I should have chosen Cedar or some other hard wood......but it was my trophy flip so I just sold it like u see it in the pics......it sure was pretty.

...I will include pics cause I am bored and it completes my ramble on story... my current Silver B that has survived 50 other grills trying to take its spot
This green Silver B is one tough grill to beat in my opinion. Yes, I love the older Genesis with wood slats, but for a daily driver how can you top the compact size and dual flip-up tables this grill offers? I would personally way rather have these flip-ups then two stainless side tables. Some people don't like the old thermoset, but I think it is easy to clean and very practical. FInally, your uncommon green hood (with pinstripe!) and the use of all black knobs and trim make for a great finishing touch. That would be a keeper in my book! View attachment 40591

My 3D printer has a relatively large (12" x 12") print area, and even with the large print area the whitewalls would still have to be printed one at a time. My slicer tells me it would take about 1hr. 40min. for the (one) simple whitewall and 2hr. 34min. for the (one) cog wheel insert, using my "standard" settings which may or may not be appropriate. Figure in another hour or so for post-processing (sanding, painting), so ~4+ hours for a set of the simple whitewall and ~6 hours for a set of cog wheel inserts.

I think Chuck's price is extremely reasonable, and that's just based on machine time, not including material costs, electricity, time to package and ship, etc.

Those are very nice. Excellent work. The only upside I could see for flipping, for me, would be so that I could one day make a real perfecto, one that had no cut corners and was truly solid soup to nuts. Otherwise for me I would again end up too far into them financially. I did see some parts at Home Depot on yellow sale today but not particularly impressive discounts.

So will you try a coat of satin poly on an example wheel? Might cause me an urgent need to rescue my wheels haha

Those are very nice. Excellent work. The only upside I could see for flipping, for me, would be so that I could one day make a real perfecto, one that had no cut corners and was truly solid soup to nuts.
That one would probably be better left for a museum, not left outside in the elements. Being left outside means that it will deteriorate and need to be re-done at some point. Like with a new car, the first scratch or first dent is always the hardest.

I think Bruce and Joe and JimV and Jon and Dave and Steve and everyone else I forgot to mention all do some amazing work. If it were any better I'd almost be afraid to use it, is what I'm trying to say.

Last edited:
Here is some irony.....after thinking I solved all of the worlds problems yesterday by using Turtle Wax trim restorer....I got to the shop today only to see the wheel kinda dried up and lost that glossy look. So it is a 20 yr old wheel and I am sure this is the first time it has had the chance to gulp down some delicious trim restorer.....so I hit it again thinking maybe its full and will leave this application on the surface. I will report back......exciting stuff huh :)

I am curious to know that.

For me, I'd rather know about that than just about anything you could hit with a dart if you hung a newspaper on the wall.

I prefer learning things that I can do, not things for me to be upset about!

It looks really good and I'll bet another coat will do it. I think that's a great solution for a grill you are flipping and don't want to spend the money on new wheels.

Ha! Ya me too......I like learning things that challenge me but I can get them done without going crazy. Weber wheels are low on the difficulty scale but its all part of the big picture.
I am already over budget on this flip so $23 per wheel just aint gunna happen. So far the best part of this wheel hack was wet sanding the white ring in the sink.....that worked perfectly and I had no white powder dust to clean up. I think the wheels will look like new tomorrow. I installed them on their new axel tonight so thats all the love the wheels will get!

I am curious to know that.

For me, I'd rather know about that than just about anything you could hit with a dart if you hung a newspaper on the wall.

I prefer learning things that I can do, not things for me to be upset about!
For me, I just nerd out on this stuff. It's the way I'm wired, I guess. If I had a dart I'd be dangerous.

Ya the dart board thing intrigued me.... :)
But I agree I need to focus on one thing......get it done....then move onto the next. This particular 1000 grill has had so many road blocks it aint funny. But knowing its a fighter just makes me obsess about finishing it even more. The sandblaster called one day and said it was ready for pick up.......then he called back and said the paint didnt turn out the way he wanted it to........then he said he wanted to repaint because it was blotchy :( uh ohhhhhhhh that is worse case scenario.....its a 20 yr old cook box and too thin to handle multiple sand blasts.........sounds to me like he didnt remove all the paint on the outside of the box prior to painting :( . I know what you are thinking.....but this guy is a pro......I see all the stuff out in his shop and the work he has done......So I try to take a short cut and have somebody else do the dirty work and so far it hasnt gone so well.

Ya the dart board thing intrigued me.... :)
But I agree I need to focus on one thing......get it done....then move onto the next. This particular 1000 grill has had so many road blocks it aint funny. But knowing its a fighter just makes me obsess about finishing it even more. The sandblaster called one day and said it was ready for pick up.......then he called back and said the paint didnt turn out the way he wanted it to........then he said he wanted to repaint because it was blotchy :( uh ohhhhhhhh that is worse case scenario.....its a 20 yr old cook box and too thin to handle multiple sand blasts.........sounds to me like he didnt remove all the paint on the outside of the box prior to painting :( . I know what you are thinking.....but this guy is a pro......I see all the stuff out in his shop and the work he has done......So I try to take a short cut and have somebody else do the dirty work and so far it hasnt gone so well.
It always seems the part that's out of your control ends up being the problem. I can sympathize with my own sandblasting nightmare story.

This hot news just in.................the second coat of Turtle Wax Trim Restorer stayed on the surface and was good and fresh today.....so fresh that I will need to wipe it down a little bit for a more natural look. Thats the good news......now for the bad news......Steve just said it in the previous post......when something is out of my hands....well......its out of my hands. I over communicate so much....and people think I am crazy ...but then they still screw my stuff up :(
Anywho.......So far my relationship with my sandblaster.......they blew out the first cook box resulting in pin holes etc and the box was not salvageable.....this was not their fault. I got a donor and even another beyond that and took them both to this blaster......just got em back today and there were two issues.
1. He painted INSIDE the cook box!!!!! What do I do now?
2. Anyone who knows me on this forum knows that I use the roll on method of Rustoleum High Heat for my cook boxes and end caps.......but I ran into a big problem with this product drying with a brown tone....so I swore I would never use it on a grill again! Well this sandblaster is also a professional painter so I asked him to not only blast the boxes but to paint them as well. See included pics and guess what paint he used..... :( Biggest issue here is that I have been sweating the small details hoping this old school classic was gunna turn out looking mint!20211117_163733.jpg20211117_182743.jpg

So now it's brown inside and out? Perfect. At least he did a nice paint job. My guy did the same thing except it was powder coat so I wasn't quite as upset as I'm sure you are now.

But we all agree.......I cant sell that grill in its current condition correct? I need to remove the paint back down to bare aluminum right? Ed ....as I was picking them up I said wow....what an awesome paint job.....then I noticed the paint on the inside and said wooops your not supposed to paint the inside.......he said sure ya are....it would have been painted from the factory......thats when I realized he didnt know Weber :( I wasnt feeling like what needed to be done at this moment so I took the boxes back to my shop. The fumes from the freshly painted boxes were so strong I had to have all 4 windows down to drive the 10 miles to my shop. Being a nice guy didnt do me any good.....I still have to take these back to him and have him blast the paint off of them which I am sure will ruin my short relationship with this blaster. Who knows if he will charge me or not......and who knows if more blasting will blow pin holes into these 20yr old boxes. The funny thing is I now know what to tell this guy to get what I want but I have to get over this hump first. If he is cool we will work through it.......if he gets blown out shape about it I will be needing a new blaster.

Back