Educate me on wheel restoration please

The conventional wisdom here is that painting the inside of the box is bad and I don't necessarily think that part is wrong. It also says that weber didn't paint the inside of them originally which I never agreed with. I don't remember my grill, which I bought new, ever being shiny, bare aluminum inside. I have also seen pictures of brand new cookboxes that are clearly painted inside, though not very well. I'm sure that the paint Weber used was meant to stay on and not out gas like the stuff we have access to. Here's an example https://www.ebay.com/itm/154630471445

The conventional wisdom here is that painting the inside of the box is bad and I don't necessarily think that part is wrong. It also says that weber didn't paint the inside of them originally which I never agreed with. I don't remember my grill, which I bought new, ever being shiny, bare aluminum inside. I have also seen pictures of brand new cookboxes that are clearly painted inside, though not very well. I'm sure that the paint Weber used was meant to stay on and not out gas like the stuff we have access to. Here's an example https://www.ebay.com/itm/154630471445
Steve, you may very well be right, but Weber has the facilities to select or specify what goes into the paint to minimize the smell and potential health risks. Corporations are subject to stiffer environmental regulations than consumers, too, so if they were painted from the factory, the coating could likely be more specialized than the general purpose high heat paint consumers have access to.

Thanks Steve........ya looking at your example that is just raw aluminum just like all the new Webers in the stores. They may have coated the aluminum with something but it just looks like dull plane ole aluminum to me.

Steve, you may very well be right, but Weber has the facilities to select or specify what goes into the paint to minimize the smell and potential health risks. Corporations are subject to stiffer environmental regulations than consumers, too, so if they were painted from the factory, the coating could likely be more specialized than the general purpose high heat paint consumers have access to.
Ed, I agree wholeheartedly and that's pretty much what I said. I'm just making an observation, not advocating for painting the inside.

Thanks Steve........ya looking at your example that is just raw aluminum just like all the new Webers in the stores. They may have coated the aluminum with something but it just looks like dull plane ole aluminum to me.
Jim, I'm surely not trying to convince you that it's fine to paint the inside of the cookbox. I have a friend who was a quality control manager at weber for years. He told me that they were only trying to paint the outside but that the inside would end up with varying amounts of paint due to overspray and that was acceptable.

I completely understand what you are saying and I really appreciate your input Steve.........
I have two coats of grill paint inside my cook boxes......looks real nice too. I would imagine my steak would taste like a freshly paved highway :(
I appreciate everyone's input tonight....u guys are the best......Im the kind of guy that gets heartburn if I am stuck behind a big diesel truck in traffic..........So I am sensitive to the thought of paint off gassing in my 500 degree grill while cooking food....so the paint has to goooooooooooooooo....

One way to approach it is to thank the sandblasted for doing a great job and take the blame for forgetting to specify you only wanted the outside painted. In my opinion if he did the inside he thought he was doing a complete and correct job. Imagine for a moment that you had wanted it painted inside and out and he had only done the outside. Plus the inside is harder to spray than the outside. Tricky situation, if it were me though I would definitely take the blame for that and I’d have to be happy that the guy was detail oriented. I would just pay him to blast the inside and consider it the cost of the assume. He did everything, I couldn’t ethically ask him to blast the inside for free.

Might not be that hard to remove the interior paint with odor free mineral spirits also.

Tricky spot you’re in but that box does look nice!

Yep I agree.....good rational thinking.....I am certainly to blame as well. The " assume " got me......he has grills of all levels in his yard but mostly professional grills on trailers so I assumed wow this guy really knows his stuff.....and he does. They have massive pieces of steel and fencing....and other assorted stuff that they are blasting and painting. Bottom line is if I said dont paint the inside........I wouldnt be in this lil pickle right now.

Yep I agree.....good rational thinking.....I am certainly to blame as well. The " assume " got me......he has grills of all levels in his yard but mostly professional grills on trailers so I assumed wow this guy really knows his stuff.....and he does. They have massive pieces of steel and fencing....and other assorted stuff that they are blasting and painting. Bottom line is if I said dont paint the inside........I wouldnt be in this lil pickle right now.
Plus, if you specify not to paint the inside moving forward, and take this loss now, you can almost guarantee that you've got a great source for sandblasting moving forward. No matter what, you're going to have to either pay somebody to remove that interior paint or do it yourself.

If it were me, I'd offer to pay him to remove it at full price.

It is incredible how people react when you admit a mistake and offer to make it right. You never know, he might give you a two for one or who knows how he will react. I wouldn't ask for anything special though, I personally would offer to pay him full price to remove the interior paint and admit I was the one who didn't specify the work. This way, you accept the "blame" and he is in a position to be a nice guy. It is never recommended to put somebody on the defensive, especially if you want them to do something nice for you.

Back