Eat Your State/Country

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
To "borrow" again from Brett, how about we share recipes from our own STATE or request/share recipes from other STATES? Yes, working on Kansas City recipes gave me this idea. lol

would you like a pizza with all fresh veggies? and some wine? a vietnamese burrito? some calimex fresh and healthy stuff? where does one start? an almond pesto? i guess CA is fresh fruits, nuts and veggies? harris ranch beef? santa maria tri tip? you'll have to choose a starting point. i haven't a clue where to begin.

Brett, the recipe does not have to represent the state, just something with California in the title or maybe something from a restaurant in Calif. What about your local paper? Do they post recipes? Or something you make using local ingredients.

Brett, the recipe does not have to represent the state, just something with California in the title or maybe something from a restaurant in Calif. What about your local paper? Do they post recipes? Or something you make using local ingredients.
haven't read or seen the local paper since 1998. we have a LOT of local thats grown here and nearby. i'll just figure something out and of course it will need to have wine with or in it.

I thought I would start this thread off with a recipe from a local restaurant here in Boca Raton. To be honest, I have had this recipe for quite a while and I don't know if the restaurant is still here in Boca. But the recipe calls for a lot of citrus which we grow here in Florida.

Citrus Marinade

2 lemons
2 limes
2 oranges
1 cup white wine vinegar
Dash Tabasco sauce
Dash Worcestershire sauce
2 TB. chopped cilantro
1 tsp. chopped garlic
2 TB. chopped parsley
1 cup olive oil

Remove zest from all citrus; reserve. Remove juice from all citrus and place juice in non-reactive container. Add vinegar, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces, cilantro, garlic and parsley. Use a wire whip to whisk constantly as you slowly pour in the olive oil. Mixture will emulsify and thicken. Keeps for several weeks in refrigerator. Makes about 2 cups.

Source: Coffee Roaster Cafe and Market-Matthew Howard-Boca Raton, Florida

The recipe does not say what to use the marinade for, but it sure sounds like it would be good for chicken, shrimp and used as a salad dressing. It will be fun to find out. lol

Guess I should have checked before posting, but I did make this recipe back in 7-22-94. It was for a family get-together and the only notes I made were "another fish cookout".

Last edited:
Besides your typical meat, potato, and vegetable dinner, I can’t think of a lot of food Iowa is known for. The two things that come to mind are breaded pork tenderloins and Steak DeBurgo.

Besides your typical meat, potato, and vegetable dinner, I can’t think of a lot of food Iowa is known for. The two things that come to mind are breaded pork tenderloins and Steak DeBurgo.
Shane, I have this article I saved from our local paper many years ago.

Newton, Iowa - In 1919, E. H. Maytag, son of the founder of the Maytag appliance company, got himself a herd of Holstein cattle. Two decades later, the cattle had become famous prize-winners in cow competitions throughout North America. In 1941, Mr. Maytag's son heard about a process for making blue cheese that had been developed by Iowa State University scientists. Maytag Dairy Farms made a deal with the university that allowed them to use the process. It was a great moment in cheese history. Using milk from the famous cows, the cheese that many consider the world's finest blue cheese was created - Maytag Blue

Joan, that's pretty funny. I actually spent my first 7-8 years living in the countryside just outside of Newton and started school there. I still have family that lives in Newton. I remember visiting the Maytag Dairy Farms on a field trip and them talking about their 'famous' blue cheese. They showed us where/how it was made. I don't know if it's because of that or not, but I've never even been able to get myself to even try the stinky stuff :D. So, I knew all about that and that it was famous here, but didn't realize Maytag Blue Cheese was famous outside the state. Just figured it was like lots of things where there are regional producers that just seem to make something a little better than everyone else close by.

Hi Shane, I guess it is ok to say this now. DH loves cheese, but for some reason, one of the few cheeses he does not like is Maytag Blue Cheese. I really don't know why.

To "borrow" again from Brett, how about we share recipes from our own STATE or request/share recipes from other STATES? Yes, working on Kansas City recipes gave me this idea. lol
What if you don't come from any state (tongue in cheek, just teasing)?
Recipe from country of origin? Country of residency?

Anne, I just checked my Africa binder. I only have one recipe from Zambia. Hope you will post more. The one I have is from the cooking game I ran for 10 years. This one is dated 2006. The woman who posted it said the recipe was from her best friends husband, Charma who was from Zambia and made it all the time. It is a Zambian Chicken dish.

I'll offer this recipe for Triple Coconut Cream pie from our local chef Tom Douglas.
If you're a fan of coconut cream pies this is the gold standard with which to judge all others.

Hey now...we all know who makes THE BEST coconut cream pie.

;)

Attachments

• mary-ann-pie.jpg
    mary-ann-pie.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 3
<scratches head> Well, from my [current] home..... it's have to be one of a gazillion variations of hot dish, a protein, a sauce or gravy, tater tots(tm) and maybe cheese. Or lutefisk, I'll let someone else handle that one.

I'll offer this recipe for Triple Coconut Cream pie from our local chef Tom Douglas.
If you're a fan of coconut cream pies this is the gold standard with which to judge all others.

Robert, THANK YOU!!!! This is exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread.

<scratches head> Well, from my [current] home..... it's have to be one of a gazillion variations of hot dish, a protein, a sauce or gravy, tater tots(tm) and maybe cheese. Or lutefisk, I'll let someone else handle that one.
Oh, I'm not going to be of much help here. I only have 1 recipe from Minn. It's called "Minnesota Metrodome Burgers". Sounds good tho.

Back