Easy smoke source for hot or cold

What is with the lid vents, are there more than one on the 22 or is that a mod. If it's a mod what the thoughts on more top vent air flow?

I had considered doing something like that using an adaptation of the roti ring on a kettle, this is better!much easier to get a second door or do the modification and fit a plug but, looking at the picture why not simply run the hose in the ATC fitting?

The ATC fitting is 1in and the hose is 2in. The ATC fitting is also too low in relation to the grill. I had a spare door and the 2in conduit fitting fit the hose. This way I can just swap doors and never have to take the hose clamps off. If this gets used a lot I'll just cut a hole in the drum, but first I need to find a cap for the fitting. This is also the WSM with a 240v oven element, so the ATC fitting and other dampers may get sealed up so it only drafts through the grill. I feel bad for all the holes I've put in this thing, like the 4 dampers on the lid when I was playing with the Hunsaker Vortex.

Last edited:
What is with the lid vents, are there more than one on the 22 or is that a mod. If it's a mod what the thoughts on more top vent air flow?
I was thinking too hard about the Hunsaker Vortex. I figured if the flow really spiraled it would need more places to exhaust in order to get the vortex effect. Not more exhaust volume, just more locations. I can open each of the 4 dampers up 25% to equal one damper fully open. In theory it should work, but I question the value. I crack each one open when using the vortex plate, but I have no way to tell if it does any good. I also open them up when doing sausage or jerky to allow more moisture to escape.

I was thinking too hard about the Hunsaker Vortex. I figured if the flow really spiraled it would need more places to exhaust in order to get the vortex effect. Not more exhaust volume, just more locations. I can open each of the 4 dampers up 25% to equal one damper fully open. In theory it should work, but I question the value. I crack each one open when using the vortex plate, but I have no way to tell if it does any good. I also open them up when doing sausage or jerky to allow more moisture to escape.
Makes sense to me!

Back