Easter Weekend Rack of Pork

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
After much debate, I finally decided to try my hand at a rack of pork this past year. So at the last minute went to Costco and picked up a 7 lb. rack (side note, I must have been really motivated if I dragged 3 kids across town to go to Costco, on a Saturday). The cook was dead simple and was a total success. Definitely something I'll have to do again. Maybe it'll become our go-to Easter meal... who knows?

So I did a little trimming of excess fat and silver skin then rubbed the rack down with a little olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic and chili powder (though I could have either skipped or gone heavier with the chili powder as it didn't really provide and distinctive addition to the flavor profile. I set up my 22" OTG for an indirect cook, and once it got to about 380 °F (I was aiming for 300 °F but over shot it cause I got a little too excited using my torch to light my fire...lol), I put the meat on and added a chunk of apple wood. After snapping a few pics and adjusting my grate level temperature probe, I buttoned it up and let the magic happen. Knowing how forgiving pork can be I didn't stress too much about the pit temp once the meat got on, just made sure there was adequate air flow so as not to over smoke anything. For what it's worth, the pit temp did stabilize around 320 - 340 °F though.

Rack of Pork (1).jpg Rack of Pork (2).jpg

Like I said, it was a dead simple cook. Once the internal temp reached 90 °F, I opened all the vents wide until removing the meat at 140 °F internal. Well, that was my goal, but was a little distracted when my alarm alerted me, then after opening the pit and taking pictures by the time I got the roast off it had reached 145 °F. I let the meat rest for 20-30 minutes while getting the rest of the meal finished and the table was set. Then we all sat down to eat a glorious meal.

Enough talk, I know what you're really here for. . .

Rack of Pork (4).jpg Rack of Pork (5).jpg

That looks outstanding, Brian! Rack of pork is one of my favorite cuts! Whole like you did it, or cut into chops (preferably doubles), it's just a winner. Did you notice if the one you picked up at CostCo was enhanced (ie: "up to 10% saline solution...."?) I've noticed that the ones at my CostCo are now the enhanced version, so I'm sticking to getting them from Wild Fork Foods. :)

R

That looks outstanding, Brian! Rack of pork is one of my favorite cuts! Whole like you did it, or cut into chops (preferably doubles), it's just a winner. Did you notice if the one you picked up at CostCo was enhanced (ie: "up to 10% saline solution...."?) I've noticed that the ones at my CostCo are now the enhanced version, so I'm sticking to getting them from Wild Fork Foods. :)

R

Yes it was "enhanced". But it was still pretty dang tasty! Remind me again why enhanced meat is no good? I mean, I get it when your preferred cooking method includes brining or injecting. But what, besides the increasing the sodium content, are the negative impacts to the finished product?

Absoutely beautiful and I'm assuming very tasty outcome. Sure looks good, you've got that little kettle dialed.

Thanks Dick. And yes it was a very tasty outcome! Using the kettle is fun. I tend to go through phases where I favor either my 18" Smokey Mountain or one (or both) of my kettles. And then there are my "lazy days" where I just fire up the old pellet cooker that I inherited from my late father-in-law and throw on frozen burgers and/or hotdog. Sure, sometimes it takes a few months (or an entire season) before I remember that the extra effort (such that it is) of firing up and running the kettle is worth the superior product that it produces. . . And sometimes it takes a relatively mild winter, lurking around this very forum, and the fact that my WSM is lovingly stowed (aka buried) in the back of the shed for the season to get me to fire up the kettle on those nicer days. Whatever the reason, I'm usually happy any chance I get to fire up some charcoal and get to cooking!

Yes it was "enhanced". But it was still pretty dang tasty! Remind me again why enhanced meat is no good? I mean, I get it when your preferred cooking method includes brining or injecting. But what, besides the increasing the sodium content, are the negative impacts to the finished product?
One of my main gripes is that I don't like paying $3.70/lb for salt water.... :) In my experience, the other main issue I come across is that this "enhancement" changes the texture of the meat, making it a bit mushier......which, of course, would also happen if you brined a non-enhanced cut for too long. I guess it's a control thing......I'd like the choice to brine or not, and then, if I do, I'd like to control in what and for how long.

So, I guess I'm a control freak! :)

R

One of my main gripes is that I don't like paying $3.70/lb for salt water.... :) In my experience, the other main issue I come across is that this "enhancement" changes the texture of the meat, making it a bit mushier......which, of course, would also happen if you brined a non-enhanced cut for too long. I guess it's a control thing......I'd like the choice to brine or not, and then, if I do, I'd like to control in what and for how long.

So, I guess I'm a control freak! :)

R

Well . . . when you put it that way. . . Lol!

I never really connected the "enhancement" solution to a change in texture, though it totally makes sense. I think I've always bought into the premise that it's harder to dry it out if you buy it with all the extra "juice". Probably because I was still developing my skills and learning how to cook to temperature not time. And of course I never really think about the "salt water tax" aspect of it all - or maybe I just choose to ignore it so as not to get all worked up about it. Lol.

Well . . . when you put it that way. . . Lol!

I never really connected the "enhancement" solution to a change in texture, though it totally makes sense. I think I've always bought into the premise that it's harder to dry it out if you buy it with all the extra "juice". Probably because I was still developing my skills and learning how to cook to temperature not time. And of course I never really think about the "salt water tax" aspect of it all - or maybe I just choose to ignore it so as not to get all worked up about it. Lol.
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's anything to get worked up over at all. Ultimately, if you either can't perceive a difference, or things turn out the way you want them to, then I wouldn't worry about it at all. :) Paying for salt water is true, but, it's a max 10% of the product weight, so it is relatively minor in terms of $$. One thing I definitely pay attention to is to reduce the salt content of any rub or seasoning that I might put on an enhanced piece of meat since it's already got some salt in it.

Other than that, keep putting meals on your table like that rack of pork, and it's all good, Brian! I cooked an enhanced one a few weeks back, and it turned out just fine. :)

R

Nice cook ! I’m always kind of amused at just how finicky some people get about some “magic” cooking temperature, I don’t use a grate thermometer on the kettle, never have, doubt I ever will.
I agree with Rich G. It’s control when you can choose “enhanced” or not. I have only been able to find enhanced products in the grocery store but, can get regular pork from my (last) local butcher. I’m not that delicate, the textural difference is minimal but, the “$3.79/lb. For water” is a valid point!
Back to the point, these racks of pork are so forgiving and relatively cheap I have two in the freezer and one in the fridge for this Saturday! They are easy to cook, impressive to serve, and delicious! Get em when you can!
IMG_0882.jpeg
This was several weeks ago, the beets were really delightful too!

Nice cook ! I’m always kind of amused at just how finicky some people get about some “magic” cooking temperature, I don’t use a grate thermometer on the kettle, never have, doubt I ever will.

I've learned over the years to not to be obsessed with my pit temps. When I got my WSM, and subsequently my first remote thermometer, I was constantly trying to chase a specific temp and keep it within a 25° range. That got old quick! Anymore, especially when using my WSM, I usually have an initial target and set Hi & Low alarms on my thermometer that are anywhere from 25 to 50 degrees above/below that initial target. Once the cooker settles where it settles, I may or may not adjust my alarms (depending on how frequent and how annoying the beeping becomes as the pit temp fluctuates naturally).

When it comes to my kettles, I don't have any type of built-in thermometer. So I will typically hang a candy thermometer through the top vent. If I'm already using my smoke to monitor the internal temp of whatever I'm cooking, I'll go ahead swap out the candy thermometer for the the ambient probe.

Regardless of what cooker or thermometer I'm using, it's very rare that I actually put my pit probe at grate level, except maybe when doing a brisket. Instead, I typically will just hanging the probe trough the top vent. My main goal with the pit probe is just to have an indication of if my fire is going out primarily on long/overnight cooks.

Back