Early thoughts on the 14.5"

Greg Powers

TVWBB Super Fan
Just a few observations from the first few uses of my 14.5" WSM;
The temperature is very easy to control, like it's bigger siblings, once it's set it stays there.
this time I used the PartyQ just for fun;

I'm getting a good 6 hours on a full ring of Stubbs briqs. It may go longer but I haven't cooked anything yet that needed to, but I will. It takes less than half a bag to fill the ring.
I needed to do 2 hams last weekend but had to do one at a time because of the short distance between grates. However 2 chickens will fit just fine and I'm sure 2 pork butts will as well. These had a total weight of 10 pounds;

The top grate is about 1/2" bigger than the bottom, but it will fit on the bottom with a little maneuvering and the bottom will stay on top without falling.
The handles are very nice to have on both grates.
The pit probe for the PartyQ goes through the grommet with no problem.
It is very easy to pick up by the base (when cool) to move around.
In summary, it is as good as the bigger WSMs and certainly something to consider adding to your arsenal.

I love my 14.5 perfect for up to 8 people, based on the fact that when we cook a 6 pound chicken for the 4 of us we have half of it left over. It will do 4 racks of ribs (cut in half)
it is easy to maneuver and doesn't use much charcoal

Thanks for the compliments on the turkey. Yes , the skin was crispy, and the bird was nice and juicy with the right amount of smoke flavor.

Mike

Mike
That is a great looking bird, I did one for Thanksgiving on my 22.5 but had to do one in the oven as well as it turns out after I bought the smoker that my wife only likes smoked food once a year
That is why the 14.5 works so well as I can do chicken for the boys and I and then the rest of the chicken for her on the Silver B

I have to keep trying to get her to like smoked food, at least SHE bought me the 14.5 for Christmas

I have a question for you. Was the 14.5 worth the money or was the mini you made just as good?

I have a question for you. Was the 14.5 worth the money or was the mini you made just as good?

Now there is a question.

The mini I made is very good cooking on a single level, the upper grate which is situated 4 inches down. Doesn't leave much room on a lower grate. Also to get at the fire you have to lift off the middle and top.
The 14.5 both grates are easy to use and have handles which is a plus. The access door makes it easy to add coals or wood.

when cooking something they both do about the same, I think the 14.5 gives me more capacity more easily. for a single 8 lb bird or a butt there really isn't any difference.

But I still like the 14.5, maybe it is the nice rounded top or the neat Weber cover, but it is also the nice grates and the door.

This summer we will have to see if the mini gets any use, but I think the way I will use it will be traveling. It does double duty a grill and a smoker and you don't worry about it getting stolen.

so there you have it,

22.5 - party smoker
14.5 - normal smoker for 2-4 people
mini - camping, travel, visiting smoker

Now there is a question.

The mini I made is very good cooking on a single level, the upper grate which is situated 4 inches down. Doesn't leave much room on a lower grate. Also to get at the fire you have to lift off the middle and top.
The 14.5 both grates are easy to use and have handles which is a plus. The access door makes it easy to add coals or wood.

when cooking something they both do about the same, I think the 14.5 gives me more capacity more easily. for a single 8 lb bird or a butt there really isn't any difference.

But I still like the 14.5, maybe it is the nice rounded top or the neat Weber cover, but it is also the nice grates and the door.

This summer we will have to see if the mini gets any use, but I think the way I will use it will be traveling. It does double duty a grill and a smoker and you don't worry about it getting stolen.

so there you have it,

22.5 - party smoker
14.5 - normal smoker for 2-4 people
mini - camping, travel, visiting smoker

I agree with Jeff, and will add that I THINK the 14.5" will hold more charcoal, thus have a longer burn time than my mini. I haven't compared them directly, plus my mini may be built a little differently than Jeffs.

One thing more about my mini, the bolts to hold the top grate mean that I have to tip and work the bottom grate in at quite an angle.

Thanks for the replies. I really like the 14.5 for traveling but the mini is a cheaper option. Ill continue to follow post about the 14.5 and take what you guys say into consideration.

Back