early summit rebuild in progress more pictures added just finished and sold

how much is a new cook box of I can't get it through warranty? I just bought this beauty for 50 bucks thinking I could buy replacement parts but the part I need, they don't sell. sorry in advance. I didn't mean to jump on your thread.

how much is a new cook box of I can't get it through warranty? I just bought this beauty for 50 bucks thinking I could buy replacement parts but the part I need, they don't sell. sorry in advance. I didn't mean to jump on your thread.
Paul. I think the grates in the summit you bought fit in the weber 1000 13 bar grills and the silver/gold B grills. So if you got the stainless rod grates in decent shape with that purchase you got something of value.

They will fit after you cut-off a little bit from each end. Left to right, third generation Summit grates are the same as the original Genesis 1-5, x000 and Silver/Gold/Platinum.

Stainless Steel Showdown Grates2_Page_08.jpg

I am unsure if the platinum and silver cook box and lids are any different, if not I have brand new ones of both, been considering rebuilding an old one I have, but due to the fact that it is so much work due to the frame and cabinet rust, I have not started on it yet. Also with the reputation of them, I wonder if people have done more research and are avoiding buying them as well.

The only difference I think in a Summit firebox would be if you have one with the "extra" burner for the smoker box and the rear infrared burner vs. a more basic model without those. Otherwise Platinum and Gold should be the same.

I wonder if Weber has any more stainless steel Summit frames? Those might be worth it to buy.

The 04/05 Genesis Plat also had a stainless frame. I see them for sale about 2x per year here in South Carolina. I think the answer is no, but I'd love to know if the stainless PANELS from a Summit would retrofit onto the Genesis.

That would be the greatest grill ever assembled. Cast aluminum firebox, stainless lid, stainless frame, and stainless panels. You could pass that down to your grandkids.

I don't think so, either, but it might be possible with the right tools to cut panels from the Summit panels to make back and sides for a Genesis, which is mainly what you would need. The bottom would have to be addressed by adding stainless horizontal tube frames and then dropping in a custom stainless part or, like I did, durawood slat trays with aluminum (or stainless) z-bars.

my job was able to replicate the rain guard for the most part except the tab on the sides. stainless so I won't have to worry about the rust anymore. I'm getting even more excited now that I'm closer to finish this rebuild.

Attachments

• 20201117_084142.jpg
    20201117_084142.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 33
I am unsure if the platinum and silver cook box and lids are any different, if not I have brand new ones of both, been considering rebuilding an old one I have, but due to the fact that it is so much work due to the frame and cabinet rust, I have not started on it yet. Also with the reputation of them, I wonder if people have done more research and are avoiding buying them as well.
how much for the cook box sir?

my job was able to replicate the rain guard for the most part except the tab on the sides. stainless so I won't have to worry about the rust anymore. I'm getting even more excited now that I'm closer to finish this rebuild.
So far, so good! What gauge stainless are you using? And have you ever thought of making a drip tray for the early Gennies?

The earlier Summits, in my personal view, had a lot of great features and are extremely good cookers - as long as the rust monster hasn't eaten through the front panel of the firebox. Why in the world they spoiled such nice grills by not making the firebox solid cast aluminum like the "lesser" Genesis I, and most anyone here, cannot seem to guess.

As far as the current third generation Summit, I guess I take some issue with giving Weber a pass on this "premium" product. When you see one in the store (which you seldom do now) they LOOK like other high-end expensive all-304 stainless grills. Beneath that beguiling surface is a lot of cheap painted steel that will turn your cabinet into a rust dungeon. I know, because I have junked two of these beasts that I gave up on. Then, they continue the same firebox fiasco. You would think by the third generation they would have learned:unsure:... I guess I feel that for over $2,000 I should get a Weber that is solidly built and designed to be used outdoors without rapidly disintegrating virtually anywhere besides Arizona and unbelievably fast in places like my old South Florida area.

View attachment 16692

View attachment 16691
Jon,
where in SFL?
are these parts still around? id like to find a few end caps for lids and or and any fire box in one piece (can have holes)
playing around with them to see what I can make work for cheap.....SS square tube could be useful also👍

Jon,
where in SFL?
are these parts still around? id like to find a few end caps for lids and or and any fire box in one piece (can have holes)
playing around with them to see what I can make work for cheap.....SS square tube could be useful also👍
Hey Doug,

That was quite a while ago in Hobe Sound, FL north of WPB. All that stuff went to the maintenance department scrap metal pile and went to the recycling center. All I kept were the grates, thermometers and smoker boxes.

Hey Doug,

That was quite a while ago in Hobe Sound, FL north of WPB. All that stuff went to the maintenance department scrap metal pile and went to the recycling center. All I kept were the grates, thermometers and smoker boxes.
Jon,
Just a thought.... oh well. I’m in Boca Raton and don’t mind driving a bit if you see anything like that again. I’d like to try and fab some of the summit fire box panels and I am converting my summit to LP so I need to fab up a tank holder for the side.
when I found this forum it was really comforting to know I wasn’t the only one with “ Weberitis” I never knew that I was so lucky to find three platinum grills in rebuildable shape (I have the 2005 genesis and 2005 summit and I did one for Dad who has the Genesis with side burner) the reason I picked them up to begin with is I spent years with my first Weber patching the painted steel frame Until it finally gave out(12 yrs). (1996 spirit 3 burner last and only Weber I bought new)
thanks for the help!

Doug,
The Platinum grills were made for South Florida. I have since moved to Indiana this summer - a huge lifestyle change for sure! Now I have to figure out what to do with grills in the winter. I will keep at least one going, even if I have to brush off the snow to do so.

You can't beat those real stainless frames. It is a shame that they only lasted for two years and that they didn't continue to offer a "Platinum" option in their newer grills. This board is filled with pictures of rusted out later model Webers. It is especially disconcerting when someone pays the premium price for a new, third generation Summit only to find that it will soon turn to rust. I think the Genesis II line has some very nice things to offer, but strength of frame is definitely not one of them.

You are wise to keep those Platinums going! I left behind my Genesis Platinum with a friend and co-worker in Florida because I felt he needed it more than me and I already have too many projects. If one were to become available here in Indiana, well...

It has been a long time since I saw one listed around here for any price. I am anxious to get after the one I have in the back yard which is destined to be my new daily driver.

I don't think I have seen any Genesis Platinums around me. I have seen a couple Summit Platinums, but they were both more than 3 hours away and not cheap. I have too many projects anyway. I would be more interested in a Genesis Platinum if only for the frame. I just wish there was an easy way to make the cabinet all stainless like the Summit Platinum (or at least aluminum).

I agree Jon. I am really only interested in the SS frame on my Platinum. I intend to try to figure out a way to modify it to hold a 13 burner firebox. But, with my limited tools and skills, I don't know if I will be able to pull it off. I don't want to wind up going down one of those rabbit holes.

Do you mean an owner's manual or schematic?

I don't think there is a "rebuild guide".

Back