Early morning finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

John W.

TVWBB Fan
I started four butts,about 30 pounds total, yesterday at about 3:00. Turned over and switched racks after about 7.5 hours. I started early because I expected more than my usual 16 hours with all that meat. The temp was stable most of the time (about 240 at the dome and 220 at the grate).

A few things I learned or need to.

1. My ET-73 smoker probe read about 260 when the long thermo that reahces to the middle of the cooker through the side read 225, I guess because the ET-73 was nearer the edge of the grate.

2. I used about 1/3 Kamado charcoal with 2/3 kingsford layered in. Seemed to chug along great the whole time. Usually I have to stir and open up vents to keep the temp up after 15-16 hours.

3. Somehow, the butts got done way sooner than I expected. At 4:00 (13 hours) they were at 190-195. I decided to let them go a little longer, and at 6:00 they were 205. Would have liked to pull them sooner, but too tired to get up again.

The butts were a little bit mushy, but flavor is good, and they'll make good samidges for a fund raiser at work on Tuesday.

Butts will be butts.........done when they wanna be not when we want them to be
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back