Early bird with pork butt

Virgil Berry

TVWBB Fan
Hey, where is everyone? I'm all alone here on the forum.

Up at 4:00 CDT to do a pork butt for dinner tonight. Had MM fire going properly by 4:30, meat on and temperature in lid 200 by 5:00. Now up to 230. Guess I can sit back and enjoy the day while my trusty WSM does all the work.

Virgil

Looking good so far. I did my first one earlier this week and can't wait to do another - and another - and ......

Took the butt off about 20 minutes ago, after sitting at internal temperature of 190 for over an hour. Now tightly wrapped and in a 170 degree oven for an hour. Much bigger bone proportionally than my previous bone-in butt. We'll see what this bone weighs. Very nice, crisp bark, and HOT.

Finished butt

Will pull some for later sandwiches, and slice some to eat this evening with cabbage and sweet potatoes. Maybe a little merlot or syrah.

Virgil

Nice looking butt, Virgil!
icon_eek.gif

How big was it? I have an 8 1/2 pounder sitting on the counter right now. I'm going to put it on at 10:00. I injected it earlier with Chris Lilly's injection and then I rubbed it with Mary's Cherry Rub. My WSM is loaded with Kingsford and several apple chunks, and my chimney is ready to fire up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Lewen:
Here's a picture of my butt after injection, but before rubbing...

Butt, pre-rub

Here it is after rubbing...

Butt, post-rubbing

Its been cooking since 10pm (it 7am now) and it looks great! More pics to come... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ron, I got a "forbidden" notice when I clicked on your link. May be on my end though, wait to see if others have that issue also.
I put on to 7-7.5 pound picnics last night at 10. Injected both. Just pulled one off, 195* already. Other at 183 still. I did these at 265 grate temp to hurry them along.
Here is the fault I get, like I say may be on my end.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /photos1521/4/96/32/7/21/0/21073296408_0_ALB.jpg on this server.

Hmmm... I linked directly to the pictures at the Kodak Gallery site. Maybe I can't do that...

Here's a link to the album. I've added a picture of the butt that i took a few minutes ago. Its at 168 internal, so I sprayed it thoroughly and foiled it.

Butt pics...

Whaddya mean, I forgot the link!
icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess its time for more coffee!

You forgot the link lol.
Update though, I did a copy/paste of your link in the previous post, and saw the two pics that way. Looks like something on my end.

Ron, sorry I couldn't reply sooner. Didn't check in yesterday evening. Sometimes, like this morning, I can't get on the Forums. Chris and I neither can figure why. Anyway, I finally got through.

I cooked a 6 1/3 # butt. Turns out the bone was 5 oz, much bigger than the last one I did.

Looks to me like you are (were) cooking a picnic, not a butt??? I say that based on the shape, and also the skin.

How did yours come out?

Mine was as good as hoped, perfect. Nice, hot, tasty bark and very tender meat. Not as much smoke flavor as I like. Think I was a bit short on my cherry wood. I pulled about a pound for sandwiches, we ate some sliced, and I am now planning to divide up the rest and freeze in Foodsaver bags.

BTW, aren't you the one with so many Canon cameras and lenses? I wondered if you were a professional photographer.

Virgil

Yep, it was a picnic... I've fallen into the trap of calling both the butt and the picnic by then same name. Its been sitting in the cooler since mid afternoon and I'm just about ready to pull it for dinner. It looked great when I took it out of my WSM.

That's me with the Canon stuff. I'm not a pro, just an amateur who likes too many toys! I've done some photography for friends (weddings, portraits, etc. but its just another of my hobbies
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron Lewen:

Butt pics...

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The pulled pork came out great! I pulled it and then added a little more Mary's Cherry Rub and some Blues Hog Tennessee Red sauce.

I've updated the album at the link above with some additional pics.

Ron, I gave up waiting for your album of pics to download. We live so far out in the boonies I can't get broadband.

One of our daughters lives in Batavia. She lost her horse in that barn fire near Elburn about two weeks ago.

Virgil

Looks goood. Saw the Blues Hog in the background. Love that stuff. Everyone I've served it to loves it.

That butt has more leg on it than any butt I've done...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Virgil Berry:
Ron, I gave up waiting for your album of pics to download. We live so far out in the boonies I can't get broadband.

One of our daughters lives in Batavia. She lost her horse in that barn fire near Elburn about two weeks ago.

Virgil </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's house. I saw the reports of the fire in the newspaper.

Second, sorry about the long download... They are just pictures of a picnic before and after cooking. If you've seen one, you've seen them all!
icon_smile.gif

Back